Graybeard Outdoors

Graybeard Outdoors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pennsylvania (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/138-pennsylvania.html)
-   -   Saturday opener? (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/138-pennsylvania/393720-saturday-opener.html)

neckisred 04-09-2019 01:21 PM

Saturday opener?

Just saw on CBS that PA approved the Saturday deer opener. Times sure are a changing in the Commonwealth huh? Hopefully more kids and working folks will be able to get out now.

spruce 04-15-2019 07:15 AM

Michigan's traditional deer rifle season opens on November 15, been that way "forever". Way back in the late 60's or early 70's they tried a Saturday opener for 2 or 3 years and it didn't go over very well so they switched back to Nov. 15th.

I'm not sure why it wasn't popular, but I can remember that opening day was even more of a madhouse than than usual, just like when the 15th falls on a Saturday. Whenever the opener falls on a Saturday there is an overabundance of "one and a half day hunters". Friday afternoon traffic is frenzied, the woods on Saturday sounds like WWIII, about noon on Sunday the mass exodus starts, and on Monday if you're in the woods you can hear a pin drop! Takes 2 or 3 days for the deer to resume anything normal movement.

At least that's been my experience.

It's sad to say but I think there's some "hunters" who don't like a Saturday opener because they mainly go to deer camp to drink and play cards and would prefer their kids in school rather than taking them to deer camp, which would crimp their "style"!

Ranger99 04-15-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spruce (Post 2055877444)
. . .It's sad to say but I think there's some "hunters" who don't like a Saturday opener because they mainly go to deer camp to drink and play cards and would prefer their kids in school rather than taking them to deer camp, which would crimp their "style"!

^ ^ ^ ^ ^THIS couldn't be any more true for every state ^ ^ ^

the way i've seen some "hunters" behave, it's a dang wonder there's
any place anywhere to go hunt any more

neckisred 04-15-2019 08:24 PM

I've owned my camp and the property I hunt for 35 years. I used to invite a half dozen guys in my younger days and we carried on just as you guys are saying. I've only had a handful of guests over the last 15 years, but mostly only me at camp now. Still a pretty good party at my place with the locals the Saturday before the opener. Sunday I recover, eat three good meals, and get ready for Monday morning. I sure don't miss feeling like crap opening day.

jiminpa 04-16-2019 09:07 PM

around my place we don't see nearly the people or hear the shooting like we used to. the first day is really quiet, the first Saturday is like the old first days.

spruce 04-17-2019 07:20 AM

Much the same here in Michigan nowadays jiminpa. Nowhere near the "invasion" of the woods there was decades ago on opening day. And now when it opens on a Saturday you can tell there is a bit more activity than a weekday opener, but nothing compared to days of old.

Ranger99 04-17-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiminpa (Post 2055878288)
around my place we don't see nearly the people or hear the shooting like we used to. the first day is really quiet, the first Saturday is like the old first days.

^ ^ ^ that's great^ ^
count your blessings. most of the places i've hunted the
last decade or so, the magazines dumps start around
9 or 10 o'clock. after i get through being mad about it,
i laugh and call it "the new glock test"

just me- i never could figure anyone that got "bored"
being out hunting,fishing, or camping

Oldloader 05-11-2019 07:32 AM

Saturday opener will have its plus and minus. Camp hunters would no longer use Saturday and Sunday as their scouting and set up days for the Monday opener. But, It will provide the working man and youth an extra day. This will force many to do their "scouting" at an earlier date. This should provide more hunters in the woods on opening day.

The Old Man 05-11-2019 08:06 AM

Pretty much here in Pa we have cry babies covering the state that dont seem to understand that a Saturday opener is a good thing for younger hunters that cant get off work to deer hunt.:tango_face_crying:

These guys are at a disadvantage by having to wait for that first weekend, and while I am sure some manage to tag one, a great many more are plauged with the older deer becoming fully aware the season is on. The antler restrictions statewide make it even more difficult to harvest a legal animal.:tango_face_surprise

The Junior hunters get to forego the restrictions, as do the disabled hunters with a shoot from vehicle permit, thank GOD for that, but the rest have spikes, three and four point deer parading by, unable to fill a tag because they are "protected" deer.:tango_face_plain:

Obviously I agree with the Pa Saturday opener for the stated reason, and wish the antler restrictions would be eliminated. :tango_face_smile:

Just my opinion, and thats like a nose, almost everyone has one.:)

neckisred 05-11-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Man (Post 2055889170)
Pretty much here in Pa we have cry babies covering the state that dont seem to understand that a Saturday opener is a good thing for younger hunters that cant get off work to deer hunt.:tango_face_crying:

These guys are at a disadvantage by having to wait for that first weekend, and while I am sure some manage to tag one, a great many more are plauged with the older deer becoming fully aware the season is on. The antler restrictions statewide make it even more difficult to harvest a legal animal.:tango_face_surprise

The Junior hunters get to forego the restrictions, as do the disabled hunters with a shoot from vehicle permit, thank GOD for that, but the rest have spikes, three and four point deer parading by, unable to fill a tag because they are "protected" deer.:tango_face_plain:

Obviously I agree with the Pa Saturday opener for the stated reason, and wish the antler restrictions would be eliminated. :tango_face_smile:

Just my opinion, and thats like a nose, almost everyone has one.:)

I hated the antler restrictions the first few years, but we are definitely killing better bucks pretty regularly now. I find myself passing on bucks that would have been considered trophies before antler restrictions. Antlerless tags are pretty plentiful in most zones now, so a hunter can get meat if that's what he's after. I wouldn't have a problem with you old farts shooting scrub bucks if that's what you want.:tango_face_grin: