My Savage/Stevens 311D - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Default My Savage/Stevens 311D

Here is the beginnings of this shotgun. This is something I enjoy to do. Making a nicer looking and better functioning firearm.

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-shotguns/two-10g-found-today!!/

I could not refuse it! I picked up a Limbsaver pad too!

Today using a fine tooth blade and a chop saw, I chopped 1.25" off the butt. I wanted the LOP a lil shorter.
Installing the pad was simple as instaling screws in pad, aligning pad on cut butt and taping screws with hammer to mark locations. Then drill holes and attach pad.

I usually use a jig to grind the pad with a 12" bench sander. But as I was refinishing the wood as well, i just fit the pad to the butt with a 6" disc sander. The pad sands quickly so care must be used not to get ahead of yourself or grind into the wood. Angles must be kept at the heel and toe.

Took about 20 minutes with a 80g pad.

Now the sanding begins... I start removing finish with 100g paper, then 240, the 320 and lastly 600. Once I got to 320 I started whiping down the wood with a damp cheeseclooth. This cleans poors and raises the grain. I call it "whiskering". The stock becomes very, very smooth.

Because this is a Beech/Birch stock its prone to blotchiness because of varing densities within the wood. Minwax makes a additive to help reduce this. I applied it as discribed. One hour later I applied the Spiced Walnut stain. Then allowed it to sit for minute or so and rudded it off/in with another clean cheese clooth.

This dried very quickly in todays heat and I was able to apply the first coat of Tru-Oil finish. This will take a few more days to complete. Ill apply at least three coats maybe as many as six. Depends on how things look as the re finishing continues. I will apply one more coat then remove it with steel wool and apply at least one more.

More pics as I go.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Default Re: My Savage/Stevens 311D

Last night I applied a second coat of tru oil and hoped to steel wool it this am. Well this wood is thirsty!! I applied a third and hope tonight Ill steel wool it and be able to apply a finish coat. But as I mentioned that depends on how it looks when I get there.

The wood is very smooth, it was very smooth when I applied last coat.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 10:36 AM

If I may ask why do you have an electric waster heater when you have an oil fired boiler?

Real trucks dont have spark plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
If I may ask why do you have an electric waster heater when you have an oil fired boiler?
Oil was expensive!! Electric was cheaper. Now they are closer, but for us, just two adults it works out a wash. Before I changed it, one could not make it thru a quick shower and maintain water temps. Now, no problems.

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 11:21 AM

It's looking good CW!

Nice to see a properly installed pad - I've seen too many "do it yourselfers" ruin the job by not getting the toe angle correct.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot
Quote:
Oil was expensive!! Electric was cheaper. Now they are closer, but for us, just two adults it works out a wash. Before I changed it, one could not make it thru a quick shower and maintain water temps. Now, no problems.

CW
I have a 40 gallon hot water storage tank, feed from a dedicated zone from the boiler. Endless hot water.

Real trucks dont have spark plugs.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot
Quote:

CW
I have a 40 gallon hot water storage tank, feed from a dedicated zone from the boiler. Endless hot water.
Thanks Spruce. I agree, "love to" see those pad installs!! :

Vash, this is a tiny lil house. 1K sq foot ranch. So just a single zone.

Just got home, the stocks where dry!! So I steel wooled them down to wood a hand rubbed another coat in. They look really good!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 10:59 AM

That's looking really nice.
The metal looks to be in good shape as well, most of these I see are quite well used.
That's going to be a really nice looking shotgun when you get it finished.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfixr
That's looking really nice.
The metal looks to be in good shape as well, most of these I see are quite well used.
That's going to be a really nice looking shotgun when you get it finished.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Thank you,
I agree, the metal finish is pretty nice. Colors on receiver while not vivid, do show well, and barrels are un-dinged and ring nicely.

I also agree, at these guns, at these price points, where usually used ALLOT! Like many Savage-Stevens usually saw the lions share of the pot gun duties. The 23's, 24's, 219's, 94's even the 5100 and 311's that replaced it. All usually well used around here too.

One more coat and it should be good to go! Its looking real nice now!!

I also measured the bores last night. The barrels look untouched @ 28" with .125" recessed muzzles. They mic out @ .680 -.685 & .690 - .694 . So full and fuller or light full and full. A test fire produced deep even FP depressions.

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Here she is!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page