Model 24 J-DL Restoration - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

I believe mine was cracked from abuse. The buttstock had also been carved on with some diy checkering and the forend right side hanging over the receiver had split off the main part of the forend. I tried to save the buttstock by sanding the checkering off but there was not enough wood left to make a good fit to the sides of the receiver. It seems to be a difficult stock to fit because there are three bearing surfaces.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:19 AM

I agree. The stock fits reverse angles on the sides then at the very rear of the stock.

I fit mine and was careful to make it as even as I was able. The left side cracked. (Again) it simply must have been too tight. I am pulling it off today for the repair and will relieve a bit more material. But its SO EASY to take too much and leave a unsightly gap.

Mine has seen maybe a hundred shots before it cracked. It went on as nice as could be. Seemed even and tightened down with barely any compression. Gave zero indicators Id have any problems.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:58 AM

Here is mine before repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B36989F8-B515-4CF3-8A63-3200FF07DC80_1567425472467.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	724.6 KB
ID:	233646  

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:13 AM

Not all wood is equal. Sometimes you get a piece that's weak in places. It might look okay and the grain may be oriented correctly and the weakness just doesn't show.

The way you fitted it may have worked fine with another piece of wood, but not with that one.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:26 AM

Nice work, Lt. Dave. Those ofl Savage 24's are very hard to find anymore. They haven't been mad in I don't know how long, but were nice working guns. I gave my Savage 94C which I got as a birthday gift when I was 16 to my youngest son. It was a .410 and may not be shot again, but he will keep it for sure. Take care, John.

It's not what you do, but how you do what you do, that counts.
Just keep on keeping on!
NRA Life Member
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:32 AM

Had the same problem with a TCR and a Winchester 94. Seems to me that uneven contact, stock to receiver, is the problem. Bedded the butt of all my two-piece stocks to the receivers. No problems since. A little of the bedding compound (what kind doesn't seem to matter) goes a long way, and be sure to used a good release agent. Just what's worked for me.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -- Benjamin Franklin
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:54 PM

Question is it possible to mount a scope on one of these rifles, I did notice that Charlie on the show The Last Alaskan has his fathers savage 24 and he has a very nice peep sight mounted on it He did not say what the rifle caliber was but it may have been a 222 Remington as he was shooting Rabbits with it the bullets did not look like 30-30 I have it recorded so may run it and pause to see if I can see the caliber, He did say it was fine for Caribou but to small for moose.

Deacobllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

I had a newer model 24-f in 30-30 over 12 ga that was drilled and tapped for scope rail.

The older 22 lr barrels have the grooves on the side of the barrel that will accept .22 receiver type rings. I'm trying to find a peep sight to fit the grooves.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 03:07 PM

I did rerun and paus the Last Alaskan showing Charlies dads savage 24 rifle and it is a 222 over 20 gage. very nice rifle.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 12:44 PM

One of my favorites that did not atart out as! Its thin and lighter then the newer 223/20. I actually just sold that one!! The 222 is stayin!!

Shoots cast nice and much better the. The 223 as well

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page