Graybeard Outdoors banner

Springfield/savage model 840 30-30 Score!

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rosewood 
#1 ·
Just picked this up at pawn shop for $200 out door. Wasn't looking to buy one but couldn't resist price. Came with Springfield labeled with savage on bottom 4x scope made in Japan. Unfortunately, the scope mount is twisted slightly and scope was way off. May have to get new mount. Cleaned it up touched up the blueing and can't wait to shoot it.

What is one of these worth? Guess the scope isn't really worth much is it?

Rosewood

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I just had a mount put on my Stevens 325, ala Savage 340, ala model 840. I bought a mount labeled for a 340 I think from Numrich and had it put on by a local gunsmith school. Your 840 is probably already drilled and tapped so if bending don't work you can probably just screw a new one on.

You got a good deal on it for sure.

#8 ·
I had considered years back to get one of these and rebarrel it to 7-30 waters. Not sure if I will do that or keep as 30-30. I shot it the other day, standing off hand about 20 yards, shot about a 1.5" group. That was good for me with irons. I need a benchrest to shoot rifles well. Will have to give it a try next time I get to real gun range. It shot well, trigger isn't bad, recoil is real smooth. Would definitely make a good brush guns just using irons for sure.

Rosewood

#9 ·
Was considering loading spire points in it, but looks like they may end up being too long to use spire points. So I am looking into the Hornady FTX or possibly a flat nose 150 grain for this gun. Can anyone share the combinations that have given good accuracy in your 340/840/xxx?

Thanks,

Rosewood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.