age of Stevens model 940 shotgun? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Default age of Stevens model 940 shotgun?

I believe it was produced by Stevens years before that company was bought out by Savage. anyone know anything about these shotguns? I bought this years ago from a friend who had it in his family a looong time. 23/4 in. barrel, full choke, nice light wood stock and forend. Bead sight. Has a dog etched into the receiver- not sure what type of metal the receiver is though.
I am trying to figure out how old it might be.
Still works fine. My kids all learned to hunt with it.
Joe

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: age of Stevens model 940 shotgun?

On the barrel, near the frame, or on the frame, you will find a very small circle or oval with one or two numbers, and a letter stamped within it. Sometimes it is VERY small, and you need a magnifying glass to see the letter(at least I do, LOL). That single letter is the key to when it was manufactured. Click on this link, and you'll have the info you need to determine what year it was made if you can find that circle or oval with the letter in it.

http://www.cylindersmith.com/savage24/datecode.html

Garry
Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun - Garry
It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't - Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Default Re: age of Stevens model 940 shotgun?

thanks that was the first solid lead I had on this question. It looks like SP or maybe 5P on the barrel making it 1963 or 1965. Funny the way my friend described having this gun I thought it might be even older than that.

Joe

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 12:04 PM

i have a model 940 the numbers are 14h in the oval i think its 1956 made but whats the numbers stand for does anyone know.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:08 PM

My first firearm is a Model 940A .410 - Santa Claus brought it in 1964 IIRC. Mom & Dad knew it was coming because they kicked in a couple boxes of 7 1/2 shot. No telling how many shells from slugs to birdshot have been fired. Still have it and still shoot it...

rick
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:04 PM

The Stevens Model 940 was made from 1961 to 1970 - per the Gun Trader's Guide book I have.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jal5 View Post
thanks that was the first solid lead I had on this question. It looks like SP or maybe 5P on the barrel making it 1963 or 1965. Funny the way my friend described having this gun I thought it might be even older than that.

Joe
I also have a Stevens 410ga that I am trying to figure out the manufacture date of.
Attached are three pictures - The first one shows the general location of the stamp.
Crop 1a shows the close up (no camera flash - using an auto correct feature in the photo editor)
Crop 2 shows the close up (with camera flash)

Joe - I am thinking the same thing - - the stamp is either "SP" or "5P" in Crop 1a it looks more like "5P" and in Crop 2 it looks more like "SP".

Thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81520103_2595617737225198_7255352373252456448_n.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	239476  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crop 1a.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	239478  

Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page