Browning Hi Power - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Default Browning Hi Power

The Browning Hi Power, John Browning's last creation came out in 1935. The pistol is also called the "Grand Pruissance" or "the Queen of the Nine". From it's beginning to today, this design just keeps going and going. Until just recently a lot of the world's armies used the Hi Power as standard issue. Some nations continue to do so.....and why, because it works. The gun is solid, all steel with a grip design that many will say is probably the best all around feeling grip you can find on a pistol. And this pistol grip and design is from 1935 with no extensions, no removable back straps, nothing. It's just one all around terrific feeling grip. I wonder how many folks out there feel this is a timeles design ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Browning Hi Power

The first time I shot a HP was some years ago. A friend handed me his and said give it a try. There were 6 , 6" plates set at 25 yards. I hit six with six shots. He pulled the rope and reset the plates I hit all six with six shots. There was another target to the right I hit that. All with a gun I had never shot before. A model I had never shot. Yea I like them. Well in 9mm the 40 S&W just doesn't seem the same.

If ya can see it ya can hit it !
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

The first time you shoot it and you go 6 for 6........very nice.......The grip design & feel is what I like on them. It just seems to fit great. other folks have told me same.......as far as the .40, I never shot a browning .40.......Are they even in the current catalog? .....The 9MM of course but I don't remember seeing a .40 listed when I glanced thru the catalog....Maybe they still make the .40 I don't know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 05:29 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

i'd still likely have mine if it'd
been something other than a 9mm luger.
they didn't offer a 40 s&w at the time.

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

It's hard to knock the original ;D A timeless gun that was made right from day 1.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 07:06 PM

Amen to the Hi Power's timeless design. I've been a career law enforcement officer for 32 years. Back in the early 80's when my department issued S&W Model 19s, we had the option to carry a 1911 or Hi Power of our own. I trained on a Series 70 Combat Commander at the academy and carried it for about 5 years. A wise sergeant of mine was carrying a Hi Power at the time and during a lull on graveyard shift, let me shoot a box of 50 rounds through his H.P. I was hooked and bought a Hi Power which I carried for the next 26 years. I carried that Hi Power on uniformed patrol, when I made Detective, through my years as a Range Master and during a 5 year stint in Narcotics. Now, I'm retired but back to work for a different State agency that only authorizes/issues Glocks and Smith M&Ps. I have to carry the Glock now on duty, but after work and on weekends and days off, it's the Hi Power that I rely on.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 07:27 PM

It is very ergonomic for most folks with med to large hands.

I love the feel and point ability too, but it bites/pinches the web of my hand.

I have a 20 year old Browning or Utah in 40 and a WWII Nazi proofed tangent site HiPower in 9mm.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 07:37 PM

it's the Hi Power that I rely on.

What ammunition to you prefer for SD?
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

CW, the nazi proof HP sounds very interesting. That would be fun to look at. I have read that the Germans loved the HP and and always wanted to get their hands on them.........I have never shot the .40 HP. But, I love the 9MM. It fits my hand perfectlly and is very accurate. I can under-stand how it got to be named the "Queen of the Nine"..........Since '35 when it came out and still going strong. Talk about a gun that was ahead of it's time...........Just keeps on going, and I don't want to bash plastic at all here, but for me when I see & feel that beautiful blue finish with those hand filling fine walnut grips..........it's old school and I love it. ;D
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Speaking of ammo, mine feeds very well. Anything FMJ comes out like butter and hits where I point it no problem. It loves to shoot accurately also one of my favorite old school rounds. The 115 gr. HP Federal 9BP round. That round has been around forever and it's a good round.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page