Browning A Bolt - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Default Browning A Bolt

Went yesterday and got an old friend back. Several years ago I bought myself a new left handed stainless steel a bolt in 270. Took a break from hunting and guns let my grandson get it to use. He had no interest in it. It sat unused in a gun cabinet for about 5 years. Probably going to order a new Nikon for it and start back using it. Wish I could post a picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Browning A Bolt

Sounds wonderful. I have a few A-Bolts, they have always served me well.

NRA, Veteran
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 06:42 PM

Glad you got your "old friend" back.
In early October of last year, I won an A-Bolt II Medallion in .257 Roberts in as a raffle drawing prize. Since I'm never a winner in these sorts of things, it didn't bother me much that the grand prize was something I really had no interest in at the time. When I found out that I'd won it, I kind of teetered back and forth between selling it off or keeping it. To help make my mind up, I slapped a scope that was going spare on it and took it to the range to shoot it. I was highly impressed with its accuracy and the mild manners of the .257 Roberts round. Since I had shot it, I figured I might as well take it hunting -you know, just to be sure I was making the right decision about whether to keep it or sell it. I wound up wacking a mature bull elk with it last fall.
For me, the A-Bolt II was something I had to "live with" to warm up to, but I like mine, and more than just a little bit. It's little things, like the fit of the stock to my body; like it being a full size, traditional polished blued steel and walnut rifle while weighing under 6.5 pounds, bare; like the low bolt lift, the smooth bolt travel and feeding / ejection cycle, and so on. I had to use the thing to really "get" why the magazines detach off the floorplate. I like the tang-mounted safety, as it is simiar to other firearms I shoot a lot -my O/U shotguns, my M77 Ultralight, and No.1's.
If I live long enough to see grandchildren, they're going to have to wait until I rotate off the mortal coil to get their mitts on my A-Bolt II. As I said, I had to live with it and use it to warm up to it, but mine is now to me one of my all-time favorite rifles. I now see why some people who have used them for a while like them as much as they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:15 PM

We all need lots of friends. I keep telling this to my wife.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Patrick will eventually get back but it will be when I'm gone. The rifle fits to good and shoots to good to let him have it back for now. Good shooting guns that feel that good are hard to come by
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 08:33 PM

I have 3, a 280,308, and 25-06. My son has a 7mm-08. I have been really happy with all of them, they all shoot better than I can and they just fit. My 280 has accounted for countless whitetail deer. I really hate to see Browning cut back on them.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 08:29 PM

My son has a 280 A-bolt that is scary accurate.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:00 AM

ive had two of them. both great shooters. I think there a good looking gun. Much better looking then those ugly x bolts.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 03:29 PM

Arguments about what's the "best" all around game cartridge. Many are suggested but few people get it right; the correct answer is the .257 Roberts. It's not the right cartridge for brown bear in Alaska or elephant in Africa but such critters are not routinely in the common hunter's sights.

I don't have a Phd, not even a BA. But I do have a DD214.

Common sense is an uncommon virtue
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 04:08 PM

My wife has an A-Bolt Micro in 7-08 that she is deadly with on Whitetails. Great rifle and great cartridge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page