BOB or GHB gun on the cheap. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Default BOB or GHB gun on the cheap.

For years now the gun shops have had a supply of model 64 S&W revolvers. The best ones are long gone . The ones left are in good me hanical shape but look bad. Most have been engraved with stock numbers or agency that owned them. This was done with a hand held engraver and looks about as bad as you can imagine . But for a good shooter the price is not bad some as low in cost as $349.00 . They are priced as condition dictates. Most have synthetic grips.
It seems to me this would make a good gun for the BOB or get home bag . The cost is reasonable. The poor looks matter little. Leaving a gun in a get home bag could be costly if stolen so most will not want to put an expensive gun in the bag but still want a quality gun . The 4 inch mod 64 a few speed loaders , holster and a box or two cartridges would be comforting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:32 AM

Not a bad choice at all.

Another would be a Hi-Point 9mm. Ugly as sin, but reliable (according to most OWNERS of them), and very inexpensive. The Tokarev would be a good, cheap candidate also.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

My thought with a revolver is no mags to lose , easy to use and reliable. Of course as you point out their are other choicrs as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:21 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Everyone should have one of those old cop guns. My 64 has gone fishing more than any other gun that I own. It had Sacramento PD etched into the frame but was very light and I was able to get rid of it. Good old guns! That old gun is on my dad's night stand as of Christmas and now I need a new fishing gun!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:43 AM

Those old K frames are hard to beat for a "do everything" gun. One advantage is if anything ever does break or wear out the parts to fix them are everywhere, and cheap.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 02:38 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

used to be a lot of model 10's and 13's around here for sale cheap.
i've not seen any 64's.
the last trade ins i saw were the 681's they got from out west somewhere,
california i think. they were just a bit over $200.00 w/ tax.
fantastic shooting guns, but a good bit heavier than any of the k frames
they sold earlier, and using different loaders than the k's.

i wish i'd bought 10 or 12 of them while they were so cheap

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Prices Here are going up fast for some reason. We have had 681s, 586s ,10s ,64s ,36s ,15s, and a few others. More 64s than all the others put together. Of course there are sig 226 Glocks 22 &17 most anything police , prison or other law enforcement used. The 64s came in 2 inch round butt or 5 inch square butt. Both heavy bbl. The model 13 is never seen and any three inch bbl is not seen. A few 19 & 66 with 2.5 inch bbls years ago.
I wanted a model 65 with a three inch bbl. They are selling for $ 1100 to $1800. The Kimber with a three inch bbl is around 800 .
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:57 PM

Yeah, all the model 64's and model 10's I'm seeing now are way up in price. I just looked on JG Sales site and they want $469 for used trade in model 64, and $329-$399 for trade in model 10's!

By the time you figure shipping and transfer fee you could just about buy a Ruger LCRX .357 3" brand new at your local gun store.

I'm afraid, for me at least, those S&W trade-ins are too high priced for a car/truck/GHB gun. In cheap revolvers there just isn't much except maybe a Rock Island M200 .38 spl or an EAA Windicator.

Almost forces a person to go with a semi-auto if you don't want to lose too much if it's stolen. Brand new Taurus G2C for $200, SD9VE for $270, used Star BM for $149 (plus shipping and transfer).

Sure wish I would have bought a couple of used model 10's when they were going for a decent price!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page