Math, a survival skill - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 01:48 AM

Gun Cabinet

Basic computation skills are lacking so much that even the brightest students are not able to be successful in upper level math courses now! I teach high school and college mathematics and have been seeing the decline for years. However, we finally have a reliable assessment in our school to show the students’ actual abilities and levels. In grades 8-12 we had ZERO students at grade level in mathematics!
The average was around FOUR YEARS behind with some as many as EIGHT!

Where does it begin? The students furthest behind didnt even know their ADDITION facts, like which pairs of numbers add up to 10!
The next big stumbling block was MULTIPLICATION facts.
If students had those mastered, the next issue was FRACTIONS!
Ive always used fractions as a true indicator of a students math abilities. If they can do fractions, chances are they can do upper level math. If they cant do fractions we have to keep digging for the true cause, its now showing up to be multiplication or even addition!!!

Plainsman
[email protected]
Plainsmans Cabin Forums
"Aim small, miss small!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 10:44 PM

Where are you? Don’t think that is a trend everywhere. My kids did HS math in the 90’s that I never saw in high school and I was in college prep.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 11:20 AM

Not to mention that soon, high school graduates will not be able to read historic documents that are in cursive.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 12:12 PM

Once years ago stopped in a small store in town that sold gas as well as pop and other things I picked up a 1.00 Pepsi and told the girl I also wonted 5.00 in gas she said thanks rang up the sale and said that will be 7.85 I said that is not right should be 6.10 with tax on the drink she said well the register says 7.85 so that is what you must pay, had to call the manager to get her straighten out

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:27 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles p View Post
Where are you? Don’t think that is a trend everywhere. My kids did HS math in the 90’s that I never saw in high school and I was in college prep.

The 90’s are over TWO DECADES ago! We’ve had No Child Left Behind and Common Core programs since then degrading our elementary and middle school programs. That means those students have now reached the high school and college levels.

Part of the issue is the fact too many people that are “afraid of” and/or “don’t understand” their math facts or fractions are now teaching these children. So whats their solution, hand them a calculator, they cam get the answers that way. Then they are doomed when they have to do a polynomial fraction problem in Algebra II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
Not to mention that soon, high school graduates will not be able to read historic documents that are in cursive.
If the future population can’t read it, the politicians and media will TELL them what it says and means!

Plainsman
[email protected]
Plainsmans Cabin Forums
"Aim small, miss small!"
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
The 90’s are over TWO DECADES ago! We’ve had No Child Left Behind and Common Core programs since then degrading our elementary and middle school programs. That means those students have now reached the high school and college levels.

Part of the issue is the fact too many people that are “afraid of” and/or “don’t understand” their math facts or fractions are now teaching these children. So whats their solution, hand them a calculator, they cam get the answers that way. Then they are doomed when they have to do a polynomial fraction problem in Algebra II.

If the future population can’t read it, the politicians and media will TELL them what it says and means!
Sad isn't it.....

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page