Math, a survival skill - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to gene_225
Default Math, a survival skill

In discussion about survival skills, I seldom/never see talk about math skills or about manual calculation. Are we already so inculcated (I think that's the right word) into the cult of the electronic world that we have forgotten the work that was done with brains and mechanical calculation devices and log tables?
When I retired, I still kept a slide rule in my desk. A young engineer, who didn't know how to use one, asked why. It still works when the power is out! Just like log tables do. Hmmm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:18 AM

Good post Gene.
Math would be needed in a post shtf world. Without it, we would regress to the point of carrying a club and dragging our women by the hair.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:45 PM

Good point Gene.

It's already to the point you can't buy anything (even with cash) if the power goes out. Cash register won't open without electric, and even if the clerk did get it open he or she wouldn't know how to make change!

Quickest way to totally disrupt this country would be to disrupt the power grid for an extended length of time. And the scary part is it wouldn't take much to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:13 PM

I am excellent at math. For example.
1. Perfect site picture.
2. Slowly squeeze the trigger (if time allows).
3. Repeat as necessary...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Good point Gene.

It's already to the point you can't buy anything (even with cash) if the power goes out. Cash register won't open without electric, and even if the clerk did get it open he or she wouldn't know how to make change!

Quickest way to totally disrupt this country would be to disrupt the power grid for an extended length of time. And the scary part is it wouldn't take much to do it.
That's true, I first learned to make change on my news paper route in the late '50s. Later I sometimes worked for an auctioneer and in an auto parts kiosk no cash register either place, making change was essential.
The one mechanical device I never learned to use was the abacas. I suspect it would be helpful running a store, if you didn't have the arithmetic skills to ad up a list of purchases. Maybe Russia, China, and North Korea won't do an air blast to kill our grid.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:46 PM

Gun Cabinet

Many years ago when I was clerking in a large sporting goods couple of guys were trying to figure out a answer to a problem and they were adding multiplying and several other things and could not get the right answer I used tape measure logic and put down the answer and one guy looked at me kind funny and said you just broke every rule there are in mathematics I said well is my answer correct he said well yes, so I said what is the problem. When I clerked in the store we added every thing up on a brown paper bag, added the tax, put the products in the bag, took the money, rang up the sale, gave the customer his change by counting it back said thanks please call again. Today they grab the receipt look to see what the reg. says to give back dumps it in your hand and starts the next person in line.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:47 AM

Sad when you give the person at the register a ten. bill is 7.17 they ring it up. hand them 17 cents and they are dumbfounded...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:59 PM

Get a kid to tell the time with a clock with hands.
With numbers can you see someone who knows nothing about guns trying to figure what round fits what gun.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 01:46 PM

I am a retired mechanical engineer and for several years have been doing some substitute teaching in middle and high schools. For 9 years here in Iowa we had a rifle season for antlerless deer for population control so I got to do a lot of long range hunting and had very good "luck". My 40 longest shots averaged over 600 yards. My reason for success wasn't a lot of long range practice but instead applying math when selecting equipment and applying math when figuring windage and interpolating bullet drop. Also, I did have a slide rule but gave it to a high school engineering teacher as some of his students who saw it when I substituted for him were fascinated by it. And I've run into a number of middle school students who had to ask me "What time is it?" as they could not tell time on the classroom clock with hands on it rather than a numerical display. And now, as I think it was when I was in high school, a lot of good math students are not so good at applying math to solve practical problems. And finally, I've run into a lot of machinists, mechanics and other technical workers who I thought would have made better engineers than a number of the engineers I've worked with.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

I guess Medicare will have to modify their annual "wellness" test - you know, the one where you have to draw the face of a clock and show a given time!!! Maybe when these young people get old they can have them draw a picture of a cell phone with a digital time on the screen. Of course by then there probably won't be any pens or pencils, or anyone left who knows how to use them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in