Preserving dried velvet on rack - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Default Preserving dried velvet on rack

I shot a nice buck last week that still had velvet on the right g2 and g3, actually it is more like leather now. It is very hard and tough, almost like very dried out jerky. As you can see on the picture it's kind of peeled off like a shag bark hickory. I definately want to preserve it for the mount and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. Though about just spraying it with raid to keep the bugs off...
Thanks.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Preserving dried velvet on rack

If it is already dried and peeling leave it as it is, bacteria relies on moisture to survive. There is really no treatment unless you rehydrated it. If it were fresh it would need to be chemically treated or freeze dried to preserve it. Just keep it away from moisture and animals and it should be fine as is.

Buck's Pro Mount Taxidermy
Todd Buchanan
Fairland,IN
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Default Re: Preserving dried velvet on rack

That is what I was thinking, it is hard as tree bark. But it had a real organic odor to it and I didn't want any beetles to get at it. A couple guys at taxidermy.net recommended treating it with Velvet Tan, which I did. Painted it on real heavy once and the odor is gone. Will probaby hit it again for good measure. Taking the rack to my taxidermist today and should have it back in a week or so! Killed the beast on December 24th and will have him on the way first week of February, not a bad turn around...

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page