Food plot in. - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:00 PM

At least you have something to hunt.Here on the west side of Oregon the deer (Blacktail) population has really dwindled because of poor timber harvesting practices, and nothing done to enhance it by our worthless Dept. Of Wildlife.Our resident hunting lic is 33.50. If you hunt deer in addition the tag is 27.50. 61.00 total to hunt,if you can find a place that allows hunting without paying the timber company.Out of state tag for deer in Or. is only 430.00.A resident fishing lic here is now more than a hunting lic. They know more people fish than hunt. a combo resident lic is 69.00.

We have been taken over by non hunting,anti gun game managers and it will only get worse. Most of the young hunters in my family will just leave the state to hunt Idaho,Nv or Wy. When I hunted these rugged mountains in the 70's and even 80's the game was plentiful, and the costs minimal.

You hunters have some control over your game management back east. We have zero.

PS......If you want to hunt Elk or some other large game animal dig deep. Especially if from out of state

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

It seems that hunting has turned into a Rich Man's pursuit. Owning property, living the dream, staying local rather than paying non-residence fees elsewhere, dealing with poachers (in the early years), coming to terms when conditions rejected everything I tried to do (fire, drought, too wet to plow, hurricane winds, downed trees, deer ate EVERYTHING planted to the dirt line mere days before the season opened, repeat), paying taxes, having fun - while I could handle the effort and my knees didn't hurt working the tractor, waiting for the hogs, deer and turkey to replenish since the State hired Trappers five years ago to eradicate hogs (and seemingly everything else) in the 4,000-acres immediately adjacent to me, losing my best friend / shooting mentor / good time and hunting buddy, and just getting old.

We have lived these changes. Younger men will undoubtedly have their own experiences. It has always been this way. I would trade none of what I have experienced for something else. These are the threads of the fabric of my life. Fortunately, I was invited to hunt in another state (for almost 30-years), where deer are plentiful, fees (historically) were not insanely disproportionate, antler restrictions unknown, bag limits, and doe for the meat hunter (historically) were reasonable, lodging was free (for me), the country cooking is very good, life-long friendships were made, and I may miss that if I do not move there in my retirement...but that story has not been written.

Last edited by land_owner; 08-17-2019 at 04:49 AM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
It seems that hunting has turned into a Rich Man's pursuit. ... but that story has not been written.
Very perceptive post my friend...

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It seems that hunting has turned into a Rich Man's pursuit.
Not a option for everyone but a lot of guys around here hunt with a club. The club next to the house is looking for members at $250 per year. The club I hunt with does raffles and such for extra funds but our leases continue to go up about every year.

LO. You were right. There’s a lot of good stuff in this area of the forum.

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by va rifleman View Post
Not a option for everyone but a lot of guys around here hunt with a club.
I read that and for a few heartbeats, my mind quit. I could not fathom anyone sneaking up behind a deer and smacking it in the head with a "club".

Then almost as quickly as I "phased out", the jist of what you were saying came to point in the next sentence. Still, I couldn't let go of that first impression.

If you food plot like I food plot, and I wanted the same or as good as I could get in my Florida fields as the food plots up North (say Carolinas, Virginia, Ohio), it did not take long for me to get discouraged at the results I got that were never going to measure up. We have, what(?), three "sweater weather" days every winter? We rarely get frost and it takes frost for the brassicas and turnips, in particular, to sweeten as the starch turns to sugar after the frost. That, and the permeable sands of Florida, practically sterile, are not the fertile peat and organic humas laced soils of the North.

Seeds that grow well "up north" either did not grow here or were not TOUCHED by the "stuck up" deer in my neighborhood. I tried oats, wheat, rye (grass), brassicas, turnips, chicory, winter peas, clovers, and some other "exotics" that either did not grow or the deer would not touch them. When it wasn't raining to hard to plow, or the woods were not on fire, or it had not rained in months, or another hurricane was bearing down on us drenching and drowning the fields, or some such year after year at planting time "malady", then Iron Clay Peas, soy beans, grain sorghum, WGF sorghum, and Throw and Grow were used with fair to excellent results.

Here is my 275 yard "honey hole" on the south property line (I'm about 40 yards from the stand). I can see if they are coming from south to north. I don't have much time to waste if one steps into my shooting lane before they are gone forever.

Last edited by land_owner; 08-18-2019 at 07:01 AM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:47 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Here is my 275 yard "honey hole"
Looks just like the land I hunt... But I guess that's to be expected since the farm is just a bit north of the GA - FL line.

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Looking back on the above stand (all pics 2011 and try to ignore the "rotation of the Earth" in the first pic):

Same strip (0.15 -acre) from the opposite end (with "Mighty Mite #33 Club Car Food Plotter Extraordinaire" pulling a roll of chain link fence for finishing):

Several of my other fields ready top be planted:

"Big Field" (1.25-acre)

House pad(0.50 acre)

Dave's Field (0.25-acre)

Last edited by land_owner; 08-18-2019 at 12:34 PM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Went to the stand to see how the oats were doing. It’s been 12 days since it was planted. Real pleased. About 8 inches long.
Food plot in.-983aea09-a955-4dbc-a60e-ced58a9e359a_1566848445944.jpg

We’ve had some rain since planting and that was a relief as it’s been pretty dry around here.

The creek bed and back side of the stand is close up hunting. Those wiley deer can look right in the shooting ports and spot the intrepid hunter. To solve that, I installed these burlap strips which are almost transparent when looking out. Still have to time it when you poke out the rifle barrel. Long SS barrels are bad for close range I found out.
Food plot in.-71343778-acfc-4346-9d0c-109fcc628c59_1566848552636.jpg

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Now THAT looks like fun! I like seeing germination like that. When the deer, in particular the does, get on it, they will stay in the area and where the does are the bucks will be. Set up a few trail cameras and see what is coming through and which are the residents.

Even with screens it is impossible not to be detected at times. Mid-morning I heard a woodpecker not too far away hammering on a dead limb. I emulated the tap-tap-tap - wait-wait - taptap sound by tapping with my fingernail on the wooden seat of the tree I had been on since before daylight. Couldn't hurt I thought. Was not seeing deer anyway. Pretty quick a deer walked right under that stand. Must have sounded convincing. I was "still" and concentrating on my own tapping, rather than shifting my weight around to get some blood flowing in the butt cheeks, for which I typically get busted.

Ordinary sounds blend in. Unordinary sounds like weight shifting, amplified by the plastic "box" floor, feet scuffling as you strain to get a rifle in place, and things that catch their eye - rifle barrel protruding suddenly, may get you busted. Can you shoot through the burlap? At that close range it would probably have zero effect on the bullet or its trajectory.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

LO. I was surprised to see how good the oats looked. Thought I would see just sprouts. Used the tiller (set about halfway down) to cover the seeds, lime and fertilizer and didn’t pack it. Couldn’t see anything on the surface afterwards. You’re right, it’s time to drop in new batteries and put out the cameras.

Two years back, I tried to get fancy and take a picture of a deer before I shot. He heard the simulated shutter sound and took off. The flash probably didn’t help either. LOL.

No problem shooting through the burlap though the muzzle blast is the biggest issue if the muzzle isn’t protruding enough. I try to shoot in between the strips using the window frame as a rest. The short length of the 1895 is a plus.

One of my biggest issues is not letting the deer pattern me when I come and go. Once I take the 1st deer, they catch on so I mostly watch the smaller bucks and hope for the monster that folks have been seeing. At the end of last season, I regretted not shooting a wide but thin racked 8 pointer during muzzle loading. May have his picture somewhere.

I like your wood pecker trick!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page