Food plot in. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Default Food plot in.

Got the food plot in today. It’s on the back line, adjacent to timber company land with a creek bottom to one side. The soil is not the best and not a lot of sun but it grew okay last year. Went with forge oats, 10/10/10 and lime.
Food plot in.-6ef47943-79d8-44fb-82f0-132803744cc4_1565825435469.jpg

Here’s the stand. About 40 yds from the plot. It’s somewhat dignified, you can sneak in real quiet, water proof, the wind doesn’t blow over you for scent control and best of all, no wasps!! The creek is about 25 yds to the left of the stand.
Food plot in.-18809a6d-43e4-443e-ac3e-bf58d5987e11_1565825732851.jpg

Really liking the reverse tiller. The rotor runs backwards compared to a normal model. The idea is for the clumps to end up on the bottom and have a layer of fines on the top. The only problem, it will not skip over big roots, (haven’t hit a big rock yet) instead it’s like you threw out a big anchor, requiring quick action on the PTO.
Food plot in.-3d3345e7-3341-4387-a946-150282dd9388_1565826330058.jpg

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Default Seeing a lot of these this year

Local youngsters along the drive way.
Food plot in.-da272b31-5cbe-4eb6-90e7-7ad841f6bf44_1565830447403.jpg

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:55 AM

pretty spot!

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

How large is that plot and do you have to transport your tractor there each time you want to put it in? Nice rototiller. Want one, but cannot now justify the cost. Two years ago I purchased a 300# spreader that has an electric slinger for both fertilizer and seed. I have not even hooked it to the tractor once.

I used to plant about 3.5 acres in FL and 24 acres in SC. Transportation of the tractor was always problematic, hectic, nerve wracking, and tiresome, but without it there would be no plots. Now, with increased costs (doubled) in SC and both state laws changed to eliminate deer hunting opportunities for the benefit of the HUGE land owners, I don't see any reason to continue planting plots.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
pretty spot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
How large is that plot and do you have to transport your tractor there each time you want to put it in? Nice rototiller. Want one, but cannot now justify the cost. Two years ago I purchased a 300# spreader that has an electric slinger for both fertilizer and seed. I have not even hooked it to the tractor once.

I used to plant about 3.5 acres in FL and 24 acres in SC. Transportation of the tractor was always problematic, hectic, nerve wracking, and tiresome, but without it there would be no plots. Now, with increased costs (doubled) in SC and both state laws changed to eliminate deer hunting opportunities for the benefit of the HUGE land owners, I don't see any reason to continue planting plots.

Thank you Lloyd. This is my 2nd year in this spot. It's good 1895 territory and the stand is a good place to hang out on a rainy day. I usually bring a book. No telling how many deer I miss seeing.

LO. This plot is not that large, maybe 100yds or so. There is a depression at the end, where if I extend it, the deer will be below the horizon. I'm with yah when it comes to transporting tractors. Makes me nervous every time. I'm blessed in this case as the stand is on the home property so the only hassle is just the two cattle gates. When hunting, I usually park at the barn and walk out to it. Have two more permanent stands on the property but they are not as nice / wimpy.

Used to hunt a lot in SC. What change did they make?

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Change? You mean CHANGES!!!!!!!!

Last year non-resident 10-day licenses went from $200.00 to $400.00. Non-resident doe tags (4 max) from $10.00 ea. to $20.00 ea. Buck tags (historically not required) $50.00 each with antler restrictions. Follow that with the standard and customary $55.00 per deer for skinning and gutting.

Now, I am not greedy, but paying over $600.00 for two doe, one buck, AND processing (provided the deer even participate) is grossly out of proportion. Unless I live there and take advantage of resident permit pricing (about 20% of the cumulative of the above), I won't be going back and that is JUST what their legislature is hoping to accomplish - run off the non-residents. Good luck with your SC wildlife programs and a reduction in federal dollars.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

LO. Wow. That’s a big change from 20 years back. Remember paying one out of state license fee with no bag limit, no tags nor antler restrictions other then being visible. Rifle season started in September. Great place to hunt though the hogs were starting to become a problem.

24 acres of food plots! I see why you bought that spreader. That’s a fair piece of work, diesel and tractor time. 😀

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

I moved the thread to the Wildlife and Land Management Forum, where it will be with similar threads (a Forum you may not have known existed) and left a permanent redirect in the other Forum.

Back to the OP...there were never any hogs in the SC Up State, until recently they migrated there, but I never saw any in 28 years of 10-day non-resident hunting the Western Piedmont in SC. I LIVED in the woods there for 10-days at a time, coming out only to take a deer to the Processor or occasionally to meet a friend for lunch. They call me "Mr. Persistence". No longer, unless I move there.

My Massey Ferguson 275, disc, bush hog, trailer and spreader will stay on the 20-acre parcel I still own in Mims, FL. I really need to go up there, from Pt. St. John (about 20-minutes away), and do some bush hogging, but I am not as youthful or as "engaged" with land management as I used to be. FL too instituted never-before antler restrictions last year and reduced doe hunting days.

I have hunted (and tilled) my FL property for almost 30-years, observed (realistically) over fifteen thousand (15,000) hours in "my" woods. I have many thousands of Trail Camera photographs spanning more than a dozen years. I can say "I 'know' my woods."

From these observations and trail cameras the deer in the forest adjacent to me are active AT NIGHT and frankly do not show themselves in daylight. Of the deer that might show themselves, they are unfortunately, little ones, young ones with scrawny basket horns of two or less points on a side - not even considered a doe by legislated fiat.

The State's largest land owners have convinced the legislature to restrict any taking of bucks with LESS THAN 10 inches of one side main beam or LESS THAN three points on a side. Combine that with a legislated reduction from 7 to 3 days for hunting does (while protecting the little bucks) and the probability of NOT SEEING a deer and the much greater probability of not targeting a "legal" deer on my 20-acres has diminished deer hunting to no reason to get out of bed - and I have lived long enough to have achieved my lifetime (free forever) hunting license with nothing to shoot - except perhaps a hog and I have shot many-many HUNDREDS of them (so time spent on stand hasn't been all for nothing).

"My" deer have no rulers on their antlers, so shooting a "long tined" fork horn, should one come by in daylight, would be problematic.

Last edited by land_owner; 08-16-2019 at 07:10 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks LO. Didn't know this section existed. We hunted the Pageland SC area, just over the NC border. For a couple years, we were puzzled as to the hogs. Turned out they were a combination of escapees from the local hog farm (right on the SC / NC line) and those being released on purpose by one of our own hunt club members!! I mostly hung out in some tall pine tree hunting from my Tree Lounge climbing stand while the club and the Walker hounds stirred up the deer. One day, I brought 4 bucks to the Mexicans that worked at the hog farm. They kept saying Grandee deer, Grandee deer.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Plow through and enjoy this forum va rifleman. We've had some really good discussion here and there is a wealth of information. If you respond to and resurrect an old thread, I am certain I can find something new to add.

I was deeply into Quality Deer Management, subscribed, and was a member there, posted a lot to their forums, and read extensively about food plotting and the pursuits of whitetailed deer in places I could only dream about. I emulated (Northern) food plotting techniques with lousy (Southern) results. I envied those with "so many" deer to watch that they could PASS on 8-pointers for some elusive 10 or 12. And does in some places so plentiful that seeing less than dozens a day would be a concern.

Many there are bow hunters. Getting up close and personal to a deer is non-existent where I am. Thus, I am a sniper. Seeing and shooting a rare daylight deer at 250 or less yards and downing it before it walks another two steps out of my line of fire, forever, has been a learned behavior. LONG hours on stand ever vigilant looking down narrow passages not unlike yours.

I had other pursuits though that they didn't. Hogs...lots and Lots and LOTS of hogs. We had 24/7 feeders to bring them in off of the flood plain, fatten them just a little, and keep them coming until we shot them, and shot them, and shot them, and shot them, and still they came. Like fish in a barrel.

Shots from rock steady stand rests, into the "X" between ears and eyes, not large centerfire calibers which cause them to run for cover, 25 yard shots, using 22 rimfire. They will start to run, wait a second, raise their heads, settle back down to eating corn in a few seconds, and you can shoot another, and another, and another in sequence - if you are patient. I had five on the ground this way.

I cooked and ate a heap of BBQ. The freezer was always full. If I shot it I had to recover, clean, and eat it. When the freezer was already full and I wanted to hunt I had to give away processed meat. There is always someone willing to take it off of my hands. Few have returned the favor. Oh well. The well spring of shooting opportunity on my land was phenomenal.

I have shot my fair share of the thousand hogs (give or take 500) removed from my tiny 20-acre parcel. The tens of thousands of State owned real estate adjacent to me is a HUGE wildlife pump.

I lamented food plotting for deer where the hogs would root through my fields to the point I was afraid of breaking a tractor axle. I did once too, but not due to any wildlife created hazard. That's another story already documented on GBO somewhere.

Where the hogs are plentiful the more timid deer are few. I got lucky with a host in SC that invites me every year to sit in his stands for 10 non-resident days searching for venison. It lasted 28 consecutive years. This will be the first year I am going to pass. Not looking forward to that, but hey, life goes on.

Last edited by land_owner; 08-16-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page