Another too wet to plow - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner
Default Another too wet to plow

Got motivated to bush hog my hunting property today. Drove to the property while discussing the situation by phone with the only other person that has a key there. He indicated it was real wet.

I drove through the gate, saw how much standing water was in the parking area (8" to 12" deep), knew that some of the fields and roads would be deeper than that, backed out, locked the gate, and went home. I will have to wait two weeks and hope in that time there is no rain and that my motivation stays high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:03 AM

I can sympathize, we’ve had a very wet summer. About half the rifle range has been a swamp this summer. Yet to be mowed as a matter of fact.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

It has been a month of Sundays since I was last motivated to bush hog or even go to the property, except for repair of the tractor and to drop it off and pick it up from there. I have had no motivation whatsoever. I have spent the ensuing 2 years and 1 month dealing with life and my life-long hunting partner's estate, which demise by his own 80-year old hand, sucked ALL of the oxygen out of my life. The remaining vacuum has left me numb.

I LIVED to take that man hunting, to get me out of my house and him out of his house and both of us into the woods, to hunt or target shoot, to food plot, and to contemplate life without wives, kids, mortgages, taxes, or the other trappings of a modern life. He was my reloading Mentor. He kept me moving in a forward direction with all things guns, ammunition, NRA, hunting, and in particular storytelling through the bad years of my failed marriage and his late-in-life brain-scratching marriage. That he knew where my "dead bodies" were buried and I his made for all the much more merriment.

He was a native-born FLORIDIAN with tales of OLD Florida that could only be recounted by those that were there. I was there too, but 16 years his Junior. I knew of, but didn't take the same footsteps.

It is therapeutic for me to recount the life of the man, if even in my own head. I have to clear those thoughts, to memorialize them, to cement them for antiquity, to grow, to move forward, to find my path again.

Yesterday's motivation was a start in that direction. Now, I have to wait for evaporation and hope we are not beset by a hurricane or two or three. There are some things I can do in the meantime that will be of benefit when the bush hogging is done and the planting is ready to start.

Recalculate the areas to be planted. Calculate fertilizer needs. Call suppliers for the availability of seed. Gather my thoughts. Check that equipment is in good condition. Repair the 20-blade disc (#1 priority).

All of this is good for clearing the fog. I am starting, just a little, to look forward to another deer season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:10 AM

I don't pretend to feel, or even understand the pain the loss of such a bond would generate.

All I can say is I feel truly sorry that you have suffered such a loss.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Thank you Old Man. It is a brain cloud and fog around the heart that is lifting. One morning you are speaking to a man you have known the better part of your adult life. Then in an instant - gone - in a way not planned. I think that I would feel the same - as deeply hurt - if natural causes had taken their toll. He had just about run life's course on its own. Still, I miss him and what we did together. He was an inspiration to me and I leaned on that.

I read an article in either "Guns and Ammo" or "Shooting Times" that chronicled why hunting permit numbers are down and the impacts that make hunters quit. One of the highest impacts was the loss of a hunting buddy. As I said, the fog is lifting. who knew it would take this long. that well was deep.

I am looking forward to some measure of hard work in the revival of my old life and times in food plotting and hunting wildlife. I am retired now. My children are grown. I can take the work in smaller doses, accomplishing some today, some tomorrow, and not worry about rushing around to pick up kids, sideline coach Pop Warner football, meet a business deadline, etc.

There is nothing quite so beautiful as newly planted fields, except of course, germination and emergent vegetation!

Truisms:

If you plant it, they will come.

Where the does are the bucks will be.

We speak Dirt and Deer here.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post

Truisms:

If you plant it, they will come.

Where the does are the bucks will be.

We speak Dirt and Deer here.
LO, Glad things are looking better. I absolutely love bush hogging briar thickets. Very satisfying. Feels like revenge for all those times they got me!

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

VA - they will be better when the wet is gone and I can get on the fields to cut them. It is still raining and another Low Pressure area is hanging around our Eastern coast. With that, the outlook is for rain, rain, and more rain. We've had about 15" of our annual 52" in the last month in some areas. Wide localized flooding. Rivers and creeks are way up.

I watch this gage at Lk. Harney, SR 46, on the St. Johns River, as a bell weather for my land. As the gage rises, it is a measure of the tremendous amount of captured rainfall in the contributory lands that runoff to the river. Not all lands are low lying, but localized flooding occurs at my property due to nowhere for the water to go and making that change would be a big deal due to the flat lands surrounding me.

Last edited by land_owner; 08-24-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page