Graybeard Outdoors banner

Hammerhead expansion?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Huntsman2 
#1 ·
I shot my biggest buck this past season with these slugs that I reloaded. I got the slug out of the deer and i was surprised at the lack of expansion. Maybe I too new to lead slugs having come from Remington coppersolids. It was also only a 20ish yard shot so maybe that has something to do with it? What have been your guys experiences that have killed with these slugs?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I would be intrested in gauge? What the slug hit inside the deer ribs or other?
What ever it did the job for you. I have recovered Remington Buck hammer slugs (20ga 2 3/4") from deer and they were at about 50 60 65 yards and didn't expand much either but they didn't hit any thing except meat.

:D Al

#3 ·
If your slugs are the same as the ones I am casting, Slugs R Us (mold and SPW -special purpose wad) I am using pure lead. I tried wheel weights but they were too hard. The pure lead ones haven’t been hunted with yet. I’m not sure if much expansion is needed with that whole mass of lead slug and spw hitting its intended target. My .535 Pure lead balls expanded nicely. Flattened like pancakes 🥞

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.