Loading 20ga. slugs. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Red face Loading 20ga. slugs.

I have only loaded 5 rounds so far with the Hammer head SWP 20ga slug sabot combo.

I used used Remington buck hammer slug hulls for this.

Even though I resized with my Mec 20ga shot shell reloader and installed the new primers I had a big problem getting the sabot started in the hulls.

I them pushed the sabot slug SWP compo in with the Mec shot wadinstalling tube.
that seated the slug way deep in the hulls I would guess a 2 1/2 inch shell would be if I were to cut the hulls at the top of the slug.

I have since been told not to try to load slugs in once fired hulls.

Also told to just hand insert the SWP sabot and slug into the hull just below the mouth.

I loaded with 27 grains of blue dot also.

Any one with any comments?

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 10:19 AM

It's bad juju to have a space between the powder and the slug.
could you cut the back of a shot wad to fill the space??

Anyhow, I've killed two deer with 20 gauge rifled slugs but I understand that the sabot slugs are more efficient.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 11:19 AM

I've been reloading the the 12 GA SPW for probably close to 20 years now and yes you can reload a 1X fired hull but it is difficult and sometimes just now worth the results. When I do use a 1X hull, I will use a hull that is longer than what I need so I can trim it down which then leaves a nice clean mouth for roll crimping. I also use one of these from Ballistic Products which is called a Spin Doctor. You put in drill and spin it in the mouth of the spent hull to reset the mouth. The heat from spinning along with some downward pressure can sometimes reset the mouth of the hull so it almost like new.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Sp...nfo/SPINDOCSB/

Over the years, I have just bought the already primed hulls from SlugsRUs https://www.slugsrus.com/ so my finished round is always the same. Here are some notes from my experience that I posted up on GBO sometime ago that may help.
https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/145-sl...lug-notes.html

The bottom line on really good slug accuracy is no different than metallic reloading. You need to be extremely consistent in what you do; everything from wad pressure, roll crimp pressure, total OAL, and so on. This is why I decided to use primed hulls only and the unskived Cheddites seemed to work the best for consistent accuracy.

The accuracy can be exceptional with the SPW. This is a 100 yard target that I sighted in couple years ago with the 12 Ga. SPW. I had put a new scope on slug gun so I needed to sight in. The first shot was high and right, I over compensated to right by going wrong dang way with scope in brain cramp and then over compensated to the left. The correction to center resulted in 3 rounds in almost same hole at 100 yards. I am shooting a 870 with thumbhole stock, Hastings bull barrel and I put a Timney trigger job into it which brought trigger down to 2 1/2 lbs. The reason I am showing this target is to show the consistency of the load. I can actually walk a load into the bull even at 100 yards with scope adjustment which is normally tough to do with a slug due to inconsistency that can be with them.

I switched over to Alliant Pro Reach several years ago when SR4756 became extinct and glad I did. I am shooting the 12GA 1 1/4 at 1450fps and it shoots thru same hole at 50. Pro Reach does have some 20 GA loads that may be worth looking at since you get higher velocity with less powder so you can use the shorter hulls. This then lets you use a longer hull cut down if you choose to do so. The 20GA SPW weighs 350 gr which is not quite 7/8 ounce so you need to decide if it can work. I would suggest calling Alliant to see if they have any thoughts. They have been great to work with in the past.

Here is a buck I killed this year with the SPW and went maybe 40 yards. He was toast the second I hit him and was running downhill if you know what I mean when a buck is hammered hard. I have killed a lot of deer with this slug and will not switch out to another since they have performed so well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	641.9 KB
ID:	241660  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171109_143318 (2).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	241662  

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." Ben Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Red face

I have been shooting Remington Buck hammer slugs 2 3/4 long. I am useing a 870 slugger 20 ga. with a 1.5 x 7 Bushnell dusk to dawn scope.
Combo has worked great for me.

I am running out of the Buck hammers so looking for a cheaper alternative, and I reload for every thing else.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 02-21-2020 at 06:17 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Red face

I have been shooting Remington Buck hammer slugs 2 3/4 long. I am useing a 870 slugger 20 ga. with a 1.5 x 7 Bushnell dusk to dawn scope.
Combo has worked great for me.

Al

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 10:07 AM

FYI - the Buckhammer is a copy of Rich Knosters SPW slug which was on the market LONG before Remington ever came out with their "Buckhammer". So if you got good results with their slug the SPW will do same. Actually probably better since you are reloading it for your specific shotgun like a metallic load does for rifles.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." Ben Franklin
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Red face

Thanks for the information I thought the Buckhammers looked like the SPW.

I have fashioned a case mouth spin tool to open the mouth a bit for better sabot insertion.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page