Physical fitness question - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Default Physical fitness question

When I was a young man I was a very good wing shot on passing game. I remember limiting on dove without a miss. Fast forward 40 years, and I am no longer a good shot. At clay sports I only shoot 50%. Somedays I miss left all afternoon, and I know it. What is going on? Is it my lack of conditioning?

Sure would be fun to be a better shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:37 PM

Poor conditioning will tend to show up more after you've shot a round or two of clays.

Are you shooting with a gun that's new to you? Maybe it doesn't fit. Or maybe you don't fit your old gun anymore. What I mean is are your cheeks "fuller" than they used to be? You may need a little castoff in the stock now so your eye aligns straight down the barrel.

None of us shoot quite as good as we did when younger. Natural part of aging - reflexes aren't as fast, eyesight isn't quite as sharp or able to track moving objects quite as good, muscles don't have the tone they once did, etc. But, barring some medical problem, the drop off in ability shouldn't be too extreme.

Good conditioning, even for young guys, will help. An eye exam may be a good idea if you haven't had one recently.

And you didn't say if you've kept shooting for the past 40 years or took a hiatus from it. If you haven't shot much for 40 years it will take a while to regain some of that skill.

If you're consistently shooting left of the target the first thing I'd suspect is gun fit, regardless of age.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:09 AM

eyes. do you need glasses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:04 AM

The "eyes" have it! Seriously, when my shooting started to, well, suck, it turned out this silly condition called cataracts was to blame. Actually distorted my vision. Got the surgery, both eyes, and it was a night and day change.

Fast forward a few years, and things were sliding downslope again, only this time, it is a heart problem, which, praise GOD!, was partially corrected with a different type pacemaker. Still don't shoot as well as in my 20's 30's or 40's, but for someone collecting SS checks I can't complain.

Get checked out and see if something can be done to improve things.....you may be surprised.
"Gettin' old ain't for sissies"

Last edited by The Old Man; 08-22-2019 at 08:06 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

I am 72. Had cataract surgery a few years ago. Might try my 20 gauge OU dove gun. Son has it.

Have had two cancer surgeries this summer. Colon and kidney. Seems to sap my energy. Still sore in the gut.

Gun is new to me. New Citori 725 Field. Less than 500 rounds. Might go back to my old 1100. Thanks for the suggestions.

Taken a few lessons from the 1988 world skeet champion. He is about 80 now but still shoots lights out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:03 AM

Talking

I am always telling my shooting partner if I havent shot in a couple weeks my swing has froze up. have gotten in the habbit of doing some twisting excerzies.

I have also quit the choke changeing game and shoot imp cylinder and Skeet 1 for juat about every course we shoot. Some times step up to mod and imp cylinder.

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Makes perfect sense. Will try your warm up routine.

My son shoots a fixed choke OU and does very well with imp cyl and mod barrels. Never a problem for him.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:55 PM

Talking

I normall am shooting a 20 gauge also. I tell Chuck i some times have a rusty swing when I am only hitting rhe tail of the birds.

Last outing went to my least favorite course, cost $7.00 more than our other course. They had a major shoot the Saturday , so the course was still set up for that when we shot Sunday.

I am doing real well with my 20 silver snipe Breatta, then half way thru the second barrel would not fire. so I finished the course shooting Chucks Mossburg SSII 20 ga.

Got to take the breatta to the smith and have it looked at.
It is older than dirt too.

Shot 76% on a 50 bird course.

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page