New rules for OH deer gun season - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default New rules for OH deer gun season

Ohio has now made it legal to use any caliber centerfire rifle firing a strait walled case from .357 to .510 dia.
So it now includes strait walled wildcats and all the cartridges not named previously.
I hope there not to fussy over bullet diameter because one of my 50-70's uses a .517 cast bullet but is still a 50 cal.

How many of you now will use something not allowed before ?

jedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 05:59 PM

They legalized my 458 win mag and both my 44 Bodeens, but I plan to use a suppressed 458 HCBS Marlin levergun.

BB

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

MINE: 44 Bodeen Belted Magnum PI (Profino Improved), 44 Bodeen Rimmed, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 26" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, Tracker II 20 gashorty, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 10 gaPardner Smoothbore slug gun, 10ga Pardner Turkey & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Active Trader until: July 25, 2013
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:03 PM

I will probably stick with my .357 mag, .357 max, 44 mag and 45/70. It is good to know there are a lot more on the list now. There won't be much confusion about what you can use.

Jim

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those Who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:26 AM

Yahoooooooo!!!! I can now use my 458 Lott!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 02:28 PM

As someone who hunted deer with a slug gun for the first 5 years in Virginia, and then finally got access to land to use a rifle on for the last 35 years, I am really really happy for you guys. It will literally change everything for you. One inch groups can now become the norm for you, instead of 4 inch groups. 150 yard shots can now be the norm for you, instead of 100 yard shots.

If you are use to the recoil of a 12 gauge slug gun, you will have no problems with a .444 Marlin, or a .45-70.

And, if your realistic shots are limited to just 125 yards, then the .44 Mag will be fine.

Great news for you guys!

Mannyrock
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 06:30 PM

Gun Cabinet

I'll probably be out with the flintlock anyway. If they're afraid I'll start taking 600 yard shots with my .30-30 I'm not playing! That was the reason given me at the first open house here in Athens when they were first talking about allowing straight cartridges, that they didn't want anyone to try 600 yard shots with a bottleneck cartridge....

~WH~

NMLRA Life Member
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Last edited by Winter Hawk; 08-08-2017 at 06:33 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:34 AM

WH,

My son inherited a 62 cal smoothbore flinter trade gun.. I started shooting it with patched 0.600" RBs and 60 grains fffg BP. I can't see well enough to hunt deer with it but if a paper plate gets within 50 yards it is in trouble!

BB

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

MINE: 44 Bodeen Belted Magnum PI (Profino Improved), 44 Bodeen Rimmed, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 26" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, Tracker II 20 gashorty, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 10 gaPardner Smoothbore slug gun, 10ga Pardner Turkey & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Active Trader until: July 25, 2013

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page