C and J Processing? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
ted

Default C and J Processing?

I just received back 2 deer I took to C and J processing off Old Heady Rd. in Louisville, KY. One deer was a doe and other 8 point buck. I was extremely disappointed with amount of meat I got back. I got back 26 pounds total from the 8 pointer. Deer was shot in neck once and that is only spot. The only tenderloin weighed 4 ounces. I called Joe and he said That typically 25 % of deer is what you get. I have weighed field dressed deer and meat returns for several years. Last year my 8 pointed field dressed at 151 pounds and I got back 71 pounds of meat. The doe returned 20 pounds more of meat and it was shot twice! He went around about how I don't know the 10,000 things that go on, etc.. He did offer to give me my money back and I accepted this. I am short a lot of meat though. Anybody else have a good /bad experience with C and J? The other two places I have taken my deer to have been Kingsley meat market off Taylorsville Road and Carter's off Dixie Highway. Never had an issue with receiving so little meat before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Default Re: C and J Processing?

unfortunately many processors lump a batch of deer together and separate based on number of deer in the batch. So if a few shot theirs in b ad spots or many times that goes to lowering your "take". Chances of even getting your deer back are slim.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
ted

I ended up getting my money back from the processor. Bottom line my 8 pointer totaled 26 pounds of meat and it was shot once in the neck. The 6 pointer was about 40 pounds of meat and the other 2 does about 35-38 pounds of meat each and they were smaller than the bucks. The guy tried to tell me my 8 point buck field dressed about 75 pounds!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 11:43 AM

You never get your deer back, that must be understood. Bone, head and hide do add up. Like you say though this ain't your first rodeo, and your expectations are based on past experiences.

I would expect somewhere around 2 grocery sacks from a good sized deer. Maybe they forgot to give you the 30 odd pounds of summer sausage and sticks you forgot ordering.

If pressed about any processor can give you a ballpark yield. Bloodshot meat, dirt, stomach contents can all add up. Neck shot? ... I don't imagine I would be going back.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun.

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 09:21 AM

I stopped using processors a long time ago for this very reason. Im a farmer and have processed a lot of animals in my life..i know what I should get back from about any animal..I know that I did not get back what I should have when I got deer processed..The processors just have too much coming in and going out to be real accurate..I have done all my own for years now..

Love them Big Iron's
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 09:38 AM

I process my own also since around 1980. That is when it went over $20 to have a deer done, now around $55 locally.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 02:48 PM

believe it or not its up to about $70-$80 here now :

Love them Big Iron's
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
ted

I gave them a second try and had much better experience! I shot a small buck and doe and took them in Saturday. They were ready yesterday and I picked up today. Had 82 pounds of meat total which is typical for the small doe and buck I shot. I like the way the steaks are trimmed too from this place. Very little fat on them.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 04:18 PM

That's good, Im glad they made it right for you.

Love them Big Iron's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page