The Baker Treestand - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Default The Baker Treestand

How many of you remember these? How many of us did the "Baker Slide" down a tree? I was talking about when I first started hunting and I remembered my old baker stand and I remembered all of the nightmares I had with it. I went out to the shop and found it today and never again would I use it. :P

The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet
Default Re: The Baker Treestand

Oh yeah been there done that and got the scratches and scars on my arms and chest to prove it. Killed my first deer from one but soon after decided that not killing a deer was prererable to going back up a tree with that thing.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 11:40 AM
tck

I had two of them. A mighty mite and a slim Jim. I sold both of them about 25 years ago. I sort of wish I had kept the Mity mite, It would be "OK" just to use as a seat on the ground.. I think I might have shot 7 or 8 deer from mine before changing
over to a TSS folding climber. I still have the TSS, Ive had some close calls with it also. I mostly use a summit treestand and climber these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 03:18 PM

Gun Cabinet

I used one for years! Thought they were the best thing since canned beer when they came out... and, like GB, I got the scars on my arms, chest and chin to prove it! ;D I finally replaced it with a W&S Cottonwood that I still, believe it or not, use. 'course, that thing is getting to be an adventure in tree climbing itself! :

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

I have mine out in the shop and I wouldn't touch it. I use a Summit now days.

The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:20 AM

Ahhh yes the Baker. I guess i could say "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, Ouch the baker, LOL!" I still have one with the optional 'hand climber.' Sounds like several of us are missing hair and hide because of these. Down East most of the 'straight' trees where I grew up hunting were pines. Nothing like bear huggin a pine while sliding 20 feet with a baker on your feet acting as an anchor. Thanks for bringing up some painful memories!!

Best regards!

Haz
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 PM

i lost my baker foot climber but not the optional hand climber so there i am hanging onto the handclimber 2o feet up a sweet gum tree
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 05:20 PM

Yep the stand of the old days ,how did we ever climb a tree with those stands? Stands have come a long way.

I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 07:54 PM

Me too. Funny how the **** thing would go all the way down.

Anyone have the bottom come off your feet and left you hanging by the hand climber?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 PM

I have an uncle who hunted out of one for 30 years. He is 5'3 and might weigh 120 lbs wet., but he had no hand climber, only a 15" X 15" platform Baker climber. He stood up the whole time and held his bow, and sometimes stayed on stand all day. I don't know how he did it. I remember him telling about how he would lose it off his feet when climbing and would have to shimmy down the tree. There ain't no way I could do it. I purchased a sit down/stand up climber from Cabelas one time. I took it out to a nearby thicket from our house to try it out. I climbed about 14 feet or so and had the stand to fall all the way to the ground with me sitting on the seat. My wife had to get a ladder and put the stand back up to where I could climb down. I sent it back. I did buy a Tree Lounge a while later and it was a great stand, but I sold it, after I quit smoking and gained a lot of weight. At 350lbs I don't trust any climber(Not many will support me anyway)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page