Summit Stand Question - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Default Summit Stand Question

Did some searching but didn't find what i was looking for. I love my summit climber, i have had it 10 years now and hunt out of it about 80 percent of the time and now i am looking at getting one for there hang on stands. I like the looks of the hawk from there raptor series. Any imput on this stand, pro/cons or maybe a different stand suggestion. Also were do you prefer to buy your stand, where do you find the best deals? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Summit Stand Question

Come on!!!! ???
It's a Summit, can their be any downsides ;D

I would prefer a hang-on that has straps that attach, then you hang the platform on a mounting bracket. But if you leave it up for weeks it wouldn't matter much.

I love my Open Shot at 14 pounds, but that new flat folding Switchblade has got my eye.

17M2, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapcrackpop
Come on!!!! ???
It's a Summit, can their be any downsides ;D

I would prefer a hang-on that has straps that attach, then you hang the platform on a mounting bracket. But if you leave it up for weeks it wouldn't matter much.

I love my Open Shot at 14 pounds, but that new flat folding Switchblade has got my eye.
I agree that summit is great. I was kind of wanting it for the fact that i can hang it with the hook so that I can move it from one spot to another easier, rather than having a few stands.

How easy is it to hang your Open Shot? I have a few spot that i don't trust leaving my stands and don't want to leave it out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
How easy is it to hang your Open Shot?
My Open Shot is a "climber" and it's easy to set up and climb. At 14 pounds it's lighter than most backpacks with gear. Downside is it's a "hand-climber" and that can be difficult for some. Sometime I might get one with a bar in front to make climbing easier and feeling safer in the stand. The Switchblade folds flat and has the bar. But it's $300.

But "hang-ons" can go just about anywhere, but less portable IMHO because of the sticks/steps and hanging process in general.

Quote:
I was kind of wanting it for the fact that i can hang it with the hook so...
The Raptor uses a bracket system? That is the way to go for hang-ons, for sure.

17M2, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:17 PM

I love my Viper climber but sometimes I think it may be a little too comfortable.

One opening morning a few years ago I was chomping at the bit to get out. I was up in the tree about two hours brefore legal shooting light.

After a 25 or 30 minutes my eyelids started to get heavy.........I awoke to a branch snapping and full day light and what would have been an easy 10 yard shot for my bow on a nice 8 pt white tail turned out to be a 35 yarder I had to pass on. If only I had been awake I could have taken the shot as he passed through my shooting lane.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 05:12 PM

I picked up a used viper last year and was very impressed. alot more comfortable than my old summit saber that felt like dangling on the edge of a cliff. and I dozed off in that one a few times, lucky to be here. but I guarantee the little saber has it all over the viper for being able to look/shoot behind the tree you are in.

lakota thats too bad but look on the bright side you were in a safe stand that you could safely doze off in.

Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

I have a summit cobra and they don't make it anymore but it is exactly the same as the viper but without the rail. I am not a fan of the rail. If you know what the bushmaster looks like it is just like mine except it has the back rest. I believe the switchblade is the model that replaced mine. It is also a had climber but I have used it for 12 years now and it works as well as year one.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
I picked up a used viper last year and was very impressed. alot more comfortable than my old summit saber that felt like dangling on the edge of a cliff. and I dozed off in that one a few times, lucky to be here. but I guarantee the little saber has it all over the viper for being able to look/shoot behind the tree you are in.

lakota thats too bad but look on the bright side you were in a safe stand that you could safely doze off in.

Oh I did more than doze off! I was full asleep! It was just like sleeping on a Lazy Boy at home. ;D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page