The doctrine of sin - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default The doctrine of sin

http://mbird.com/2018/10/hiding-in-p...ctrine-of-sin/

.....My point is this: in the edifice of Christian belief, the doctrine of sin is a major load-bearing structure. It is not theologically optional. To lose it, or to downplay it, or to reframe it in terms that are less offensive to our sense of self-worth, is in the long run to render Christianity unintelligible to people. It will become a floating shell, unmoored from its historical foundation, from its own inner logic, and from the realities of human lives......

Fundamentalism: The sneaking suspicion that somewhere, someone, might be having fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Are we sinners because we sin or do we sin because we are sinners?

“I am very concerned that much of modern evangelicalism has lost this clear biblical teaching. We seem to see the source of sin purely in terms of the devil and the world. We see ourselves as good people who are victims of outside forces. We fail to see that we are born fallen.”

http://g3conference.com/the-tragic-l...ctrine-of-sin/

Fundamentalism: The sneaking suspicion that somewhere, someone, might be having fun.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:32 AM

I don’t see that at all in most Pentecostal churches. We sin because we are born sinners and Christ is the only remedy. And we trust the Holy Spirit to do his job which is to lift up Christ by convicting sinners and drawing them to faith in Christ.

Maybe it’s time for you to reform again? Or maybe common language would help you communicate to common people?

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020

Last edited by pastorp; 10-11-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Maybe you should up your game and study? That is a viable option. As a pastor you are not considered “common people” but a man of the word. A man of greater knowledge than “common people”.

Does that doctrine carry through to teaching on every day life in the AoG or is it primarily applied at the point of salvation only?

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post
Maybe you should up your game and study? That is a viable option. As a pastor you are not considered “common people” but a man of the word. A man of greater knowledge than “common people”.

Does that doctrine carry through to teaching on every day life in the AoG or is it primarily applied at the point of salvation only?
I do study daily. I understand you perfectly. But you notice you don’t usually get many that comment to your threads. Perhaps the old regulars are busy or perhaps they just avoid your threads. With this advise I leave your thread to whatever fate you decide.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:26 AM

Pastrop has delivered the teachings of Christ in some pretty hostile places. I've seen him do it before. Some would listen where others didn't want to hear it. And those people got downright mean with him. But he never wavered one bit.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

You know Pastorp, It was the “common man” who was spoken to during the Reformation. The printing press made this possible. Students would gather writings or take notes of debates. The thought of many of the reformers would be copied and spread throughout the land where it was debated and discussed by the “common man“.

The BS that these teachings are too technical for the common man is a scape goat argument. In all actuality the “common man” should be insulted that a man of the cloth would think him incapable of grasping these concepts.

Back to the topic at hand. Can you enlighten me concerning the AofG view on the doctrine of sin after salvation? I don’t recall reading about this in the 16 articles.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 12:13 PM

You can visit parts of the Vatican library by appointment. But there is still a great deal that they won't allow you to see. Those are in a temperature controlled vault. And most likely not written in English.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post
You know Pastorp, It was the “common man” who was spoken to during the Reformation. The printing press made this possible. Students would gather writings or take notes of debates. The thought of many of the reformers would be copied and spread throughout the land where it was debated and discussed by the “common man“.

The BS that these teachings are too technical for the common man is a scape goat argument. In all actuality the “common man” should be insulted that a man of the cloth would think him incapable of grasping these concepts.

Back to the topic at hand. Can you enlighten me concerning the AofG view on the doctrine of sin after salvation? I don’t recall reading about this in the 16 articles.
I am going to put this yere because dealing with sin, is a matter of prayers also.
Those who think that because one is not a Christian on the level Goodshot probably actually is, that is not an insult GS, are told by others you have to do this and that plus you have to have this and that.
Well being in a special club with the Holy Ghost seems to be spoken of here often; a gent I landscaped for was an -- In the spirit denomination or sect -- and one time I was at a house where they had a meeting. It seemed that the "spirit" was all they talked about, not Jesus. (They did not celebrate Christmas.)
It was too many years ago to remember details but I challenged, or asked challenging questions and got polite answers . I came away feeling Jesus blood was not enough for them.

Well, today I looked up praying to the Holy Ghost and found this site:
https://www.desiringgod.org/articles...he-holy-spirit

I have never had problems praying and I keep them short and to the point. God has saved me from myself legally and physically numerous times so I know he is listening or simply protecting me from myself when I am too full of myself and not because of prayer but rather because I a lack of prayer due to too much flesh.
While Jesus said "I am with you always" to his disciples, that I believe applies to anyone who has accepted Jesus as Lord.

The site I paste above, to a degree, reminds me of some of the rhetoric found here, and that group I attended years ago.
The Bible calls the Holy Ghost the comforter, not the telegraph wire to Jesus, much less the Father. If one is a Christian one does not have to try to create a special attachment to the Holy Ghost, he will be there, period.
As ones true faith does grow, one's connection to God will grow, as it does for preachers and teachers who go to nasty places willing to die for the Faith.
That comes from Faith in the Good News brought by the one true God, not some special schooling in special prayers to the Holy Ghost.

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 10-11-2018 at 02:36 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 01:23 PM

I have never had problems praying and I keep them short and to the point. God has saved me from myself legally and physically numerous times so I know he is listening or simply protecting me from myself when I am too full of myself and not because of prayer but rather because I a lack of prayer due to too much flesh.
While Jesus said "I am with you always" to his disciples, that I believe applies to anyone who has accepted Jesus as Lord.

Bob, it sounds like you are avoiding the pitfalls of repetitive prayer. That's a good thing from what I hear. I once could recite the Mass in Latin, i had heard it so many times. It took me awhile to stop calling my Pastor father. He would just laugh. Some of the Catholic converts came up with the name, Catholist.

Last edited by Argent11; 10-11-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page