Post about Salem witch trials.. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Default Post about Salem witch trials..

There was a post over in .."Strange Happenings Outdoors"..which started with the witch trials and inspired some questions on Puritans and Pilgrims.

Too often these two are confused, when they are very different bodies. So, let's clarify.

The Puritans were still members of the Church of England (Anglican church). They were involved in what they considered "purifying" the church of England, that is ..removing some of the residual elements of Catholicism.

The Pilgrims were "Separatists", and wanted nothing to do with the Church of England..and were hated by the king for it !

That well known painting of Pilgrims going to church (painted in19th century), shows Pilgrims in Puritan dress. The black clothes and top hats were Puritan style, going to church clothes.

The Plymouth colony was settled by Pilgrims, but in a couple decades was over run by Puritans, since the Englishmen who followed the Pilgrims were mostly church of England raised. When all of Massachusetts was declared a colony, the Church of England was made official.

..And it didn't take long for the succeeding generations of Puritans to deteriorate as Christians. By 1660, many older settlers were complaining how the later generations were wandering from (liberalizing) their faith while pursuing "filthy lucre".

Most of us would view the Puritans would be viewed as backsliders, were we to witness them today..

After Plymouth was over run, many of the remaining faithful Pilgrims moved with Roger Williams to his colony of Rhode Island, which was Baptist, but all faiths were tolerated.

To cut this post short..where are these church bodies now?

Well, the Pilgrims (they would call themselves Separatists) melded into the Baptists, especially since they agreed in most ways with them.

If one looks for the Puritans today..look to the 'Congregationalists' or 'The United Church of Christ'.

If you recall, The United Church of Christ in Chicago, was Obama's home church..

BTW: It was the Puritans who persecuted the "witches"..by the time of the witch trials, most Separatists were in Rhode Island, and many were already Baptists. ..And Rhode Island under Roger Williams was "the birthplace of religious freedom" in America.

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)

Last edited by ironglow; 05-19-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:43 AM
Dee

Purty good history lesson.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Dee.. I thought the subject needed some clarification.

Nice day today..

Now, off to Church and the adult Bible study & discussion..

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:50 PM

The book only covered that in a couple of chapters, and it wasn't as informative as your post IG.
It focused mostly on the draconian laws that lead to the trials, and how they were enforced.
And it did talk about how it was the Puritans. And the methods they had used to persecute
not just those women and some men. But members of their own church if accused and found
guilty.

Last edited by Argent11; 05-19-2019 at 01:10 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:48 PM

IG, it was just a library book I checked out. They had a separate history book on all 50 states. Massachusetts was number six.
Delaware was number one being the first state. I took Massachusetts mostly for Boston and the whaleing years.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

According to our family genealogy, my first progenitor in America arrived 1652, and gave me my family name, became a friend of Roger Williams, even though Williams was some number of years his elder.

Later my progenitor's descendants moved to present day Coventry, RI, where they and some others founded the Maple Root Baptist Church (1762)...which is still active today. I have no information how doctrinaire they are however.

Perhaps I can get an idea here, since they mention recent services:

https://mapleroot.org/church-picture-with-sign/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...6850509254555/

Last edited by ironglow; 05-19-2019 at 02:03 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:05 PM

IG, not to change your OP. But did you know that Moby Dick was a semi true story? I like what you say
about the religious foundations, that book didn't really cover a whole lot of that in the way that you did.
Heck IG, I found out what a widows walk was. And that thing about a candle in the window.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:17 PM

At least our Navy and the Royal Navy still use this song. So did the whalers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eter...Strong_to_Save.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

The "widow's watch" was a popular feature, designed for houses along the seashore. The sailor's wives would utilize the high perch to watch for the returning ships.

Sometimes it was referred to as the "Captain's watch".. probably because the captain may be the only one of the crew who could afford such a house. More likely, the day(s)the ship was due the captain's wife and other officer's wives, either watched together, or took turns at watching.

In any case the feature became so popular, the style spread inland. Many houses in local towns where I live , have the captain's watch feature, and they are far from any seashore.
Attached Images

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
The "widow's watch" was a popular feature, designed for houses along the seashore. The sailor's wives would utilize the high perch to watch for the returning ships.

Sometimes it was referred to as the "Captain's watch".. probably because the captain may be the only one of the crew who could afford such a house. More likely, the day(s)the ship was due the captain's wife and other officer's wives, either watched together, or took turns at watching.

In any case the feature became so popular, the style spread inland. Many houses in local towns where I live , have the captain's watch feature, and they are far from any seashore.
What was it with the candle or lamp in the window?

Last edited by Argent11; 05-19-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page