As I have said for years..our Special Forces are very Christian - Graybeard Outdoors
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 147 (permalink) Unread 05-27-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Default As I have said for years..our Special Forces are very Christian

Knowing a number of them, I understand them to be mostly serious Christians.

However, some of those "fake Christian" groups have taken offence because so many Special ops troops are strong believers.

https://truthout.org/articles/us-arm...ssion-for-god/

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)

Last edited by ironglow; 05-27-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 (permalink) Unread 05-28-2019, 09:04 AM

Gun Cabinet

Interesting article. He takes some serious points, the Christian mixing of Faith and patriotism, and goes way off the rails.

My B I L is active duty and will age out in about a year. He has flown S O AR since 1993. He has known SO warriors from every known branch in this country and has worked with the same from allied countries.

His observation is that many in SO believe in God but that there is not a higher percentage of Christians in SO ranks.

People do not like to think.
If one thinks, one must reach conclusions.
Conclusions are not always pleasant.
Helen Keller
post #3 of 147 (permalink) Unread 05-28-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Not the way I observed it, and SO operators have told me. ...And obviously not the way the investigating reporter for TRUTHOUT sees it !

Again, the headline for the article; US Army Special Forces Officially Recruit for “Mission for God“

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)

Last edited by ironglow; 05-28-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 147 (permalink) Unread 05-28-2019, 09:34 AM

Gun Cabinet

How many SO operators have you know?

My BIL has been immersed in that community for almost 30 years. Within the community he is known for his faith. His experience relates to working with many hundred of these men in peace time and in the combat zone on many many occasions.

We discussed the issue this morning. His observations:

“I would never say MANY troops are strong believers. Ever. At least not what we would call strong Christians active in their faith.

They are strong believers in country and freedom for sure. Most would say they are strong believers in God. But merely believing in God doesn’t make them strong Christians by any stretch.

There are strong believers who are active in their faith, no doubt. “

Helen Keller
post #5 of 147 (permalink) Unread 05-28-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post

My BIL has been immersed in that community for almost 30 years. Within the community he is known for his faith. His experience relates to working with many hundred of these men in peace time and in the combat zone on many many occasions.

“I would never say MANY troops are strong believers. Ever. At least not what we would call strong Christians active in their faith.

They are strong believers in country and freedom for sure. Most would say they are strong believers in God. But merely believing in God doesn’t make them strong Christians by any stretch.

OK...you know one (your BIL) I know three of them...albeit, recent special operators, now civilians or semi-civilian...those three strong Christians..served in active combat, and are comfortable with their associates. ..Yes, they still keep close tabs with those they served with..

It seems you and I are more at odds as to what constitutes a Christian, rather than the demographics of the troops

So, how about a short explanation of how you discriminate between a believer and a Christian. Assuming you are not talking about false gods..

Last edited by ironglow; 05-28-2019 at 10:41 AM.
post #6 of 147 (permalink) Unread 05-28-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post

I can second his observation, we have non denominational chaplains that minister to our guys, and they do get some participation in their programs, but not as much as they could. I've been in involved with SOAR since 2k, and they are no more or less religious than any other unit I've been involved with. We have had some controversy, such as the Trijicon sights (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34937429/n...od-its-sights/) and some of our mottos are religious in nature, such as Job 23:10 and Isaiah 6:8, but they are more motivational than religious. For the record, I am not religious, at all, but have no problem with any of this.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
post #7 of 147 (permalink) Unread 05-28-2019, 10:20 AM

I would guess that most special forces going on a mission where it's a good chance they won't survive, say a fervent prayer. That gives them hope, and GOD knows their heart.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #8 of 147 (permalink) Unread 05-28-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

I can only speak for those I have met, and those who I have shared holidays at my Grandson's residence, when he had fellow marines from his unit. Or do you think he was Christian selective, as to who was welcome at his house?

Devin, a friend of mine was the 1st Bn or the Army Rangers..seemed to be in much the same situation.

As I read the biographies of Men like Chris Kyle and other noted special operators, it seems a common theme.

..But LC, I am still waiting for your explanation of the question I asked earlier...

"So, how about a short explanation of how you discriminate between a believer and a Christian. Assuming you are not talking about false gods."

Last edited by ironglow; 05-28-2019 at 10:47 AM.
post #9 of 147 (permalink) Unread 05-28-2019, 11:05 AM

Gun Cabinet

IG

You need to stick with what I actually said rather than what it is you want me to have said.
You say you have known “several”. I KNOW two and the ONE to which I refer, my BIL, has been in the SPECIAL FORCES COMMUNITY for almost 30 years. HE has known HUNDREDS in that small tight knit community. It is HIS, not MY assertion that I posted above. The quotes in my last post are DIRECTLY from him. Not my opinion but his EXPERIENCE AND OBSERVATION as a devout Christian living fighting and dying with these men.

Helen Keller
post #10 of 147 (permalink) Unread 05-28-2019, 11:18 AM

Gun Cabinet

IG

Knowing a number of them, I understand them to be mostly serious Christians.

(You said 3)

The observations of a man who had been neck deep in the community since 1993:

Helen Keller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in