about spit my coffee out. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Default about spit my coffee out.

enough said. I think everyone here already knows what im thinking. It involves rocks and glass https://news.immitate.com/2019/06/11...ting-fox-news/

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:19 AM

You have a valid and important point..there is sin in almost any organization!

...But did you notice how the SBC didn't conceal, but brought such activity out in the open, no cloak & dagger, but pointing it out in a very public manner.

By keeping it open, chances are that were a real case of forcible rape or child molestation to be discovered, the law would be involved.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
post #3 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:05 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
You have a valid and important point..there is sin in almost any organization!

...But did you notice how the SBC didn't conceal, but brought such activity out in the open, no cloak & dagger, but pointing it out in a very public manner.

By keeping it open, chances are that were a real case of forcible rape or child molestation to be discovered, the law would be involved.

👍

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:32 AM

Gun Cabinet

Covering up abuse has been a hot topic in the SBC for years. I was at the T4G conference in Louisville, last spring. A guy who is usually a keynote speaker was not there voluntarily. The big dogs in the SBC have backed him for years. It appears that they supported him when he may have needed discipline. This was because of how he handled an abuse allegation/case within his church. The SBC isn’t acting with a lot of virtue but reacting to try to get back in front of the wagon that has been rolling down the hill.

If they are actively and publicly rooting this stuff out in five years I’ll believe that they have reformed. Until then the pattern makes them look non different than the next denomination. The denomination has figuratively been caught with its pants down.

Last edited by littlecanoe; 06-16-2019 at 09:34 AM.
post #5 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:35 AM

Well, it came out in the open somehow..is there an internal revolution going on ?

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
post #6 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:57 AM
Dee

I started questioning the SBC when Richard Land started drifting out into globalism.
Then when the SBC started endorsing Rick Warren, I was done. That was some 10 years or more ago.
You have to look at these "SBC churches" on an individual basis, some are much better, or worse, than others.
Not so much as for their cover ups, because I don't see that much of it.
But for their move toward a softer globalist, user friendly gospel.

Some SBC churches, depending on local leadership have not drifted that far, but some, like mine jumped head first into the new, softer, mega church style gospel, and their attendance took a huge hit.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
post #7 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:57 AM

Gun Cabinet

Thatís the problem. The SBC is an organization but has no effective hierarchy like the Catholic Church. Each church acts independently in government and to some degree doctrine. They join together for such things as missions and educational institutions. Because of this there is likely no way to get an idea of how many such cases have been covered up within the SBC.

In my opinion these publicly visible displays should be accepted as virtue signaling until the denomination demonstrates that they are going after this issue and the abusers. I noted that the gentleman in question voluntarily removed himself as a speaker at T4G. From what I understand he did so, NOT because the organizers asked it of him, but because he knew that the attendees were not happy with the handling of the incident.
post #8 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:03 AM

Gun Cabinet

To Dee’s observations the sad part of the issue is that the guys that I’m talking about are the ones who were “directing the SBC back to its origins”. They did little to nothing publicly to address the incident.

With the governmental style of the Catholic Church these things will be more visible in the public eye. With the good old boy bubba centric leadership that governs independent SBC congregations the statistics will be high. I’d say that Catholic Priests, Baptist Preachers get as horny as Jimmy Swaggart and do something about it. It’s just easier to cover up the aftermath in a small independent congregation.
post #9 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:28 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post
To Dee’s observations the sad part of the issue is that the guys that I’m talking about are the ones who were “directing the SBC back to its origins”. They did little to nothing publicly to address the incident.

With the governmental style of the Catholic Church these things will be more visible in the public eye. With the good old boy bubba centric leadership that governs independent SBC congregations the statistics will be high. I’d say that Catholic Priests, Baptist Preachers get as horny as Jimmy Swaggart and do something about it. It’s just easier to cover up the aftermath in a small independent congregation.
Have got in actual stats, or are you just guessing?

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
post #10 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:45 PM

Gun Cabinet

I’d bet a wad on it.

I say that based on seeing how this one incident was handled and hushed and many think an”big name” protected. I presently am a member of a SBC church. I been a member of two. I’ve seen the good old boy system and mentality ruin people. I’ve seen it first hand.

I watched three pastors be eviscerated publicly by a bunch of Deacons who couldn’t spell Bible. The three pastors were guilty. Guilty of preaching the word and guilty of not pushing for programs and numbers of baptisms.

If a deacon board will do that I’m in for 10k that they will be Johnny on the spot to cover a sex abuse scandal. I’ll bet on that every time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page