Where did all the .35 Remmy's go? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:29 AM

Gun Cabinet

I'll add that the Traditions have Lothar Walther barrels and the barrel and action are cerakoted. Again, I couldn't be happier with it.

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:30 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I have scads of 358 Winchester components but no 358 Winchester at the moment. The CVA Scout V2s in 243 are getting pretty reasonable on the auction sights. I may planning to buy one and send it to JES to convert to 358 Winny. However now Ruger has come out with the American Predator in 358 Win for $399. So now I'm in a quandary on the matter.

I really like the CVA Scout V2 platform. They are a little heavy but I guess that in that regard I should take the same advice that I am aways giving out and that is, "Suck it up Nancy"!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:31 PM

I have a .35 handi and my uncles .35 marlin lever. .35 cal was popular in Mich, good brush gun, good for black bears. Lots of cover in Michigan typically don't need long range rifles. Until just recently ammo was real hard to find for .35 now seems to be plenty.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
I have scads of 358 Winchester components but no 358 Winchester at the moment. The CVA Scout V2s in 243 are getting pretty reasonable on the auction sights. I may planning to buy one and send it to JES to convert to 358 Winny. However now Ruger has come out with the American Predator in 358 Win for $399. So now I'm in a quandary on the matter.

I really like the CVA Scout V2 platform. They are a little heavy but I guess that in that regard I should take the same advice that I am aways giving out and that is, "Suck it up Nancy"!
The Scout V2 compact is not really that heavy. I have a couple stainless one in 35 rem and the other in 7mm-08. But my go to is the lowly $149 Hunter that began life as a 35 rem and is now a 356/358 Win. Shoots lights out, even after hand reaming it myself.

Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi & CVA Rifles
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:10 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revbc View Post
The Scout V2 compact is not really that heavy. I have a couple stainless one in 35 rem and the other in 7mm-08. But my go to is the lowly $149 Hunter that began life as a 35 rem and is now a 356/358 Win. Shoots lights out, even after hand reaming it myself.
They are not that heavy unless you are an old man that plans to bear hunt in the mountains next spring. The Ruger is a pound and a half lighter with 5 shells in the gun. I can still bench press 250 lbs but my legs are the issue. I have titanium knees. That said I walked almost 300 miles last year during Iowa's pheasant season(so says my fit bit) but I wasn't carrying a pack or climbing up and down mountains.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Scout,Hunter and the Apex(I have one in 7mm-08) and it for sure isn't their fault that I'm getting old! The area that I am going has had some grizzly bear problems as of late so maybe having more than one shot might be a good idea too.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
They are not that heavy unless you are an old man that plans to bear hunt in the mountains next spring. The Ruger is a pound and a half lighter with 5 shells in the gun. I can still bench press 250 lbs but my legs are the issue. I have titanium knees. That said I walked almost 300 miles last year during Iowa's pheasant season(so says my fit bit) but I wasn't carrying a pack or climbing up and down mountains.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Scout,Hunter and the Apex(I have one in 7mm-08) and it for sure isn't their fault that I'm getting old! The area that I am going has had some grizzly bear problems as of late so maybe having more than one shot might be a good idea too.
I went back and looked at some of them and they do vary in weight a good bit. The 450 bush is 8 pounds, but the 44 mag is only 5.8 pounds and both of them are the 41" overall length. I think the Compact version (38" overall) 35 rem I have is right at 5.5 without scope of course. However, the Ruger does sound lighter and may fit your need better.

Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi & CVA Rifles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page