Graybeard Outdoors banner

?cva wolf bh 209 breech plug replacement?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  LHitchcox 
#1 ·
Trying to understand new replacement. I have an older wolf with standard breech plug and use BP 209. I have always been concerned about ignition of 209 powder and always use CCI 209 magnum primers for that reason. So far I have only had 1 ignition failure when the spark was insufficient to ignite powder and that was on the range after shooting around 5 shots with 90 grain charge. 1. Will this quick change plug fit? 2. Will it be more reliable and give off hotter ignition?

#2 ·
I bought a BP 209 plug for my Accura mountain rifle and it worked fine the face where the powder rest is drilled much deeper to get the powder closer to the primer I bought mine from CVA and it came with instructions on how to install and adjust the first time.
I wish they had one for my 50 mag hunter as I cannot shoot 209 in it as there is a split second from the primer pop till the powder goes off little unnerving.

Deaconllb

#3 ·
I think the quick change plug for BH209 from CVA will only fit 2010 or later made Wolf rifles that came from the factory with the QRBP (Quick Removal Breech Plug). If yours was made before 2010 it won't have the QRBP plug, and the BH209 plug won't work with it - at least that's the way I understand it.

Best bet would be to give CVA a call and get the straight scoop on it.

#5 ·
The pre 2010 plug can be modified to work with BH 209 by having a machinist drill a slightly larger flash hole using a drill bit that is .034 or .035 wide. I think that is a #65 bit, but don't hold me to that. Another mod is to use a quarter inch bit to cut a slight cup into the bottom of the plug. That lets the powder sit closer to the charge. At a decent temperature BH 209 can be ignited by a hot primer, but during cold weather it is harder to ignite. Cleaning the flash channel by hand with a 1/8 inch drill bit cleans the carbon buildup. I have found that carbon buildup will cause accuracy to fall off. I clean with the drill bit after each range session or if a long session, I won't go more than 10 shots without cleaning the flash channel at the range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.