Scout V2 6.5 Creedmoor - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Default Scout V2 6.5 Creedmoor

Just bought one on Gunbroker, supposed to be here tomorrow. It is the 24" stainless threaded barrel. Hoping it shoots as good as my Hunter in 7mm-08. Figure it will make a great rainy day gun also. Says it is a 1:8 twist, so should do well with 140 grainers for sure which is what I prefer for hunting.

Anyone else got one?

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 05:22 PM

Don't have one but that could change based on what you post next.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

I had been eyeballing the Hunter in 6.5, but the cheapest I could find one was $260 or so plus tax etc and it would have to be ordered by a dealer. I wished Academy had stocked them, but they never carried it in that cartridge. Also, the Hunter came with a brown plastic stock, not very appealing. Ran across a company on GB that had several of the Scouts in 6.5 on auction. I bid on about 4 of them before I won the bid. Think it was $280 or so with tax and shipping, now have to pay the x-fer fee of $25. Gonna be about $305 when all is said and done. Being the Scout is stainless and a nicer rifle than the Hunter, I am quite happy with that price. Picked up a box of Hornady Black 6.5 140 grain BTHP yesterday to zero and test with and then will reload my own.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 08:09 AM

Gun Cabinet

Nice to hear that your 7/08 is a shooter.

I just picked up a like new CVA Scout in 7/08 for a good deal off Armslist. Came with a case, sling, ammo and a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40. Got it all for $220. I'm going to get a box or two of Hornady Light (120gr SST) and set it up with a scope with IR for one of my Grandsons for upcoming deer season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200527_172808836~2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	915.4 KB
ID:	246192  

Last edited by 336ER; 06-18-2020 at 08:13 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336ER View Post
Nice to hear that your 7/08 is a shooter.

I just picked up a like new CVA Scout in 7/08 for a good deal off Armslist. Came with a case, sling, ammo and a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40. Got it all for $220. I'm going to get a box or two of Hornady Light (120gr SST) and set it up with a scope with IR for one of my Grandsons for upcoming deer season.
That is a deal with the Leupold. When I bought the 7-08 at Academy it came with the Konus scope on it which works, just isn't the greatest glass. Seems like it was on sale for $199. They run at $229 now with the Konus. No sling or box though.

I don't think I tried the 120s in it. I found a good load using the 139 BTSP and seems like RL15. Seems like I was getting in the 3/4 MOA range with it. Never tried any factory loads in it.

I also have the hunter in 35 remington and get about 1MOA with Hornady 180 SSPs and about 1.5 MOA with my 206 grain cast boolits.

I really love the Hunters and think they are a great gun for anyone learning to shoot. Seems they are not popular enough for stores to make them a regular stock item and CVA has discontinued several models. You can't beat the price or the triggers either for such an entry level gun.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Why would you setup the gun with IR? Is it legal to hunt deer after dark in your area?

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 01:38 PM

Gun Cabinet
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
Why would you setup the gun with IR? Is it legal to hunt deer after dark in your area?

Rosewood
Nope. But the fact that there's a red dot in the scope makes it easier for them to aim. How's that?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 01:42 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
That is a deal with the Leupold. When I bought the 7-08 at Academy it came with the Konus scope on it which works, just isn't the greatest glass. Seems like it was on sale for $199. They run at $229 now with the Konus. No sling or box though.

I don't think I tried the 120s in it. I found a good load using the 139 BTSP and seems like RL15. Seems like I was getting in the 3/4 MOA range with it. Never tried any factory loads in it.

I also have the hunter in 35 remington and get about 1MOA with Hornady 180 SSPs and about 1.5 MOA with my 206 grain cast boolits.

I really love the Hunters and think they are a great gun for anyone learning to shoot. Seems they are not popular enough for stores to make them a regular stock item and CVA has discontinued several models. You can't beat the price or the triggers either for such an entry level gun.

Rosewood

I found this Konus on sale last year for $99 and picked one up. Either this Konus or a PA 1-4x24 with IR #4 will go on top of the 7/08. More than likely the samaller PA.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...iation=2061752

The price "in the cart" is $129, just like the smaller P.A.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336ER View Post
Nope. But the fact that there's a red dot in the scope makes it easier for them to aim. How's that?
ahh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant infrared. You meant illuminated reticle. Doh.

Go Donald Go!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 02:03 PM

Gun Cabinet
Thumbs up

Quote:
ahh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant infrared. You meant illuminated reticle. Doh.
I do use a FLIR Scout monocular on my hogs hunts. I'm tempted to try it for help tracking (if needed) on my bear or deer hunts. I'd think it very useful if you shoot one just before full dark. I think Leupold makes a similar item to utilize for tracking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page