Went to the range today..... - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Default Went to the range today.....

And it was miserably hot and humid. The RO made sure that there was plenty of cold water available for all, although I had stopped on the way and got two big bottles of Powerade. I wanted Gatorade, but there was none in the store.

When I got there I again had to wait for the rifle shooters to time out so I could shoot. That never bothers me, as I know if I was shooting in that place I'd have to wait for others. It's just courtesy.

I had my CZ 75 SP01 and my LC9S Pro with the Lee bullets sized to .358, as well as my 30/30 A.I. and some loads that were pure fire forming loads as well as some fairly stout lead bullet loads.

I was pleased! Both of my pistols gobbled up the loads that I put into them. When I first got the CZ I'd get jams galore and the tiniest lead doughnut looking thing after I managed to get the slide back. That was with the TC bullets. Sizing them to .357 helped a lot. But I wanted to try a different bullet and see if it would work with the larger diameter. It did!

My NEF 30/30 A.I. did as well as I expected, shooting only at 50 some yards. The brass is old, and I had two or three cases that had a neck split. It was hot and very easy to get worn out in a few minutes. I believe I salvaged 18 or 19 pieces of brass that are now in the tumbler.
The RO was busy getting targets reached there was going to be a qualification shoot @ 1300. I packed most of my stuff into my vehicle and came back to wind down and drink one of those Powerades.
If it hadn't been so hot and humid and I felt better I would have stayed and watched the qualification shoot. But I needed to get home, so away I went.

I did have an enjoyable time....

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:12 PM

Your right about the humidity , changed shirts 3 times today . Dont have to go to a sauna just step outside for 30 mins.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:59 PM

You sir are either one determined gentleman , or a glutton for punishment. Its just to hot to even think about doing any shooting. The sweat running into my eyes generally cuts the mood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

I shoot under a covered pavilion, and there is a huge portable fan at one end blowing wind our way. It's true, you ain't gonna shoot a lot in a little while without a lot of exertion that just isn't safe in this heat. I was surprised at the small amount of brass that I collected and brought home. And I was feeling fairly whooped when I left, but drank the powerade and rested a bit before I took off.

I still had a good time though.

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page