Graybeard Outdoors banner

Squirrel Season

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Fyrstyk 
#1 ·
Anyone looking forward to squirrel season? My son and I both got the new Gamo Bull Whisper Bone Collector .177 pellet rifles and are anxious to give them a try. :)

#2 ·
Drive down to Texas. Open season all year long. ;D
And air rifles with at least 600 fps just became legal for squirrels last year.

#4 ·
I heard a squirrel barking just yesterday morning and I had visions of stalking the woods with a good looking rifle of some sort. Every time I see a squirrel squashed on the road lately I think what a waste!

#5 ·
My wife would be almost dead from starvation before she would eat squirrel, so I would camp in the winter, hunt'em, and eat'em there.
but a few years ago, when I quit camping, I switched from a rifle to my EAA bounty hunter 22/22mag and have fired at hundreds and hit none. but I have scared a bunch of'em.

when the mornings get cool in the fall, I can hardly wait to go scare squirrels.

#7 ·
Spring season starts, here in Virginia, on the fourth of June. I love squirrel hunting, but I just can't get excited about it in warm (hot) weather. To me, squirrel season rightly starts after the first frost. Guess I'll just have to thin the coyote and groundhog population during the summer. :)

#9 ·
I'm with you. Our early squirrel season starts on 9/1, but it is usually too hot, and the trees are still fully leafed out. I prefer mid Oct. here in New England. I love squirrel hunting with my Flint lock .32 caliber Carolina Squirrel rifle. I may not get as many squirrels as I would using a .22 rimfire, but I sure do enjoy my times in the woods with this gun, and if a get a few squirrels so much the better.

#8 ·
Just bought a new Thompson Center .22 auto (essentially a 10/22 with upgrades) for squirrel season. I have never really hunted them, just shot them while bird hunting, but I have a new friend who is an avid squirrel hunter.
Especially since the birds have disappeared here in KS and I need some more outdoor time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.