Squirrel Season - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Default Squirrel Season

Anyone looking forward to squirrel season? My son and I both got the new Gamo Bull Whisper Bone Collector .177 pellet rifles and are anxious to give them a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Squirrel Season

Drive down to Texas. Open season all year long. ;D
And air rifles with at least 600 fps just became legal for squirrels last year.

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Ours is rated at 1300 fps so we'd be all set. I just might have to visit family. Still have a lot scattered all over Texas. Radiating out from Tatum, Panola County.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 07:27 AM

I heard a squirrel barking just yesterday morning and I had visions of stalking the woods with a good looking rifle of some sort. Every time I see a squirrel squashed on the road lately I think what a waste!

If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this. C. S. Lewis
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 11:45 AM

My wife would be almost dead from starvation before she would eat squirrel, so I would camp in the winter, hunt'em, and eat'em there.
but a few years ago, when I quit camping, I switched from a rifle to my EAA bounty hunter 22/22mag and have fired at hundreds and hit none. but I have scared a bunch of'em.

when the mornings get cool in the fall, I can hardly wait to go scare squirrels.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 01:39 PM

Season starts this weekend...5-28-16.
Got a new 410 in the off season to try out.

Sometimes I sits and thinks...but most times I just sits.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 02:11 PM

Spring season starts, here in Virginia, on the fourth of June. I love squirrel hunting, but I just can't get excited about it in warm (hot) weather. To me, squirrel season rightly starts after the first frost. Guess I'll just have to thin the coyote and groundhog population during the summer.

Life's too short to waste any of it,

Gary
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 11:06 AM

Just bought a new Thompson Center .22 auto (essentially a 10/22 with upgrades) for squirrel season. I have never really hunted them, just shot them while bird hunting, but I have a new friend who is an avid squirrel hunter.
Especially since the birds have disappeared here in KS and I need some more outdoor time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensai View Post
Spring season starts, here in Virginia, on the fourth of June. I love squirrel hunting, but I just can't get excited about it in warm (hot) weather. To me, squirrel season rightly starts after the first frost. Guess I'll just have to thin the coyote and groundhog population during the summer.
I'm with you. Our early squirrel season starts on 9/1, but it is usually too hot, and the trees are still fully leafed out. I prefer mid Oct. here in New England. I love squirrel hunting with my Flint lock .32 caliber Carolina Squirrel rifle. I may not get as many squirrels as I would using a .22 rimfire, but I sure do enjoy my times in the woods with this gun, and if a get a few squirrels so much the better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page