A shut-in who's trying to get out more has some questions - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Default A shut-in who's trying to get out more has some questions

Sorry if this is better somewhere else, I couldn't find a "general" category or anything.
I'm 19, and I've been quite a shut-in for most of my life. I had problems with stalkers when I was 11-14, and I guess I haven't really learned what "normal" safety is, and I'm not familiar with outdoors stuff at all, so these are probably going to be really dumb questions.

I love nighttime, it's always so quiet and calm, and so I'd love to go for walks at night, and find a nice secluded spot to relax in. Is going out at night unsafe? Should I be sure to be inside before like midnight or something? Would a 3 AM stroll just because I couldn't sleep and felt like it be really dumb? Would letting myself fall alseep out there (even before midnight, if I set an alarm or something) be unsafe?

There's an old abandoned building near me, someone said it had asbestos in it and that it leaked into the field around it. Some of the window frames don't have glass in them, and much of the roof is gone. And it rains a lot here. I really like that field, and I'd like to spend a lot of time there when I get more used to going out. Should I worry about the asbestos and stuff? I've been exposed to it before in my life, so should I worry more than most people would?

Also, I've wondered off and on if some homeless person was taking shelter in that building. I'm never going to go in it, of course, but should I worry about how safe it is to be near it, especially at night?

In my area they recently discovered a new deadly disease spread by ticks. The field by that building gets very very tall grass sometimes, they mow it every 4 months or something. Would it be dumb for me to hang out in it? Should I just avoid doing so when the grass starts getting taller? Is there a, preferably natural, preferably with a very mild scent if any, bug spray that would solve that problem you would recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:31 PM

If youíre going to be wandering about after dark dress as if you want to be seen. I witnessed a man get killed crossing the street at 0330. As I told the responding officer if there was ever an example of getting yourself killed this is it. Man who was driving was devastated. Iím not suggesting you need some sort of hiway worker hi-vis garb, just avoid the asphalt colored hoody, black pants outfits.

You need to check into permethrin based bug dope applied to your clothes. The common DEET bug repellant is basically useless against ticks.

Since you will be exhibiting potentially sketchy behavior it might be a good idea to run your plans past a cop. Might save you a bunch of time trying to explain why your laying in an abandoned lot, or creeping around dark areas of town.

All of which in and of itself isnít wrong, but will have people wondering and perhaps calling the cops. You wonít be as alone as you think out walking. I see people at all hours walking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page