Working without the proper tools - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Working without the proper tools

as in grip panels... they are a lot of fun you will need lot o sand paper.. a nice rasp helps along witha router if you need to do any relelaving to fit a frame...you can do alot with a dremel tool. great for shaping.. good luck post up some pictures when you get going on your project 8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Will if they turn out ,
Yep grips , Got told long ago if they are wood they are stocks anything else are grips . But folks look at ya funny when ya call um stocks ;D

If ya can see it ya can hit it !
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Here's a couple of revolver grip panels I made, the center one is two parts that enclose the frame, did that inletting with a rotozip, could'nt find a pic of the inside but that grip fits a Taurus Tracker. The biggest problem I had in making pistol grips was in finding a good supply of grip panel ferrels, if you find a supplier please let us know. As 6x5 said, post pic of your progress, and feel free to ask us any questions you may have.

"skin that 'en out and I'll get ye nother"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 02:43 PM

Brownells and I think Midway have them . I have not ordered them yet but have been looking to find all the parts. There is a local place for wood of all knids , will try the less expensive stuff first . One goal is to duplicate some grips I have in walnut in ebony . They fit a J frame S&W and are very compact .

post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Found the grip panel ferrels on Brownells, both sides, and the screws, but no photo, but it come to $12 a set, Prety spendy when you're trying to makes 'em for sale. Nothing but a ton of grip panels on Midway.
I would suggest that for your first pair, that you try working with a less expencive wood, heck even some fir or pine would work well enough for you to get a feel of how to work on them, as with most thing it takes practice, and I'd much rather make a mistake on some throwaway pieces than on something like Ebony. My above photo was my 3rd set, I've got two bad sets in the scrap box, of both types.

post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 11:05 AM

If I find any other source will pass it on.

post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 12:59 PM

I drilled and routered, rasped till my fingers hurt,.sanding away hours and lost track of time now Iam all done. all i have to do is ship it off to its new home...thats realy the hardest part...lol I was getting used to mounting up a left handed stock.

The time has come for me to make one to Keep. I have aquired some new handi parts so i will be putting a .243 together along with .280 that 4x5 picked up in his stock trade... I will make a myrtle stock(a very beautiful wood) while Dad has plans to do a redwood.stock matching his 25-06, he made a few years ago.

keep lookin more pictures to come..any comments are welcome along with any suggestions
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 01:17 PM

Wow! Very nice.

Μολὼν λαβέ
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm almost done with LONGTOM's new stock ( My Trader in the 'Want to Trade' forum ) after Frank told me that he intends to bolt my trader up to his Custom .405 Winchester, I offered to add a bit more Myrtle to handle the big .40 cal thumping 30 + lbs of recoil, made it 1/16 proud of the reciever, and chased the fit until I came up a 1/4" short of the original LOP ( now 14" ) and got a 99% fit, and after a few shots the .405's recoil will set the fit.

This cold weather is slowing down the curing process, a few more coats of Tru-Oil and I'll be sending this ole pal off to VA and its new home. I've also done qiute a bit on Purpledragon's all redwood stockset, a few sanding sessions and it will also be ready to ship.

When I get both of those projects done, I'll get to work on a stock for my soon to be new .280 Rem, And as 6x5 mentioned I'll be making it with our last remaining Redwood stock blank ( we'll be taking a trip down into Calif for more Redwood Burl soon ) to match my other long barrel, my .25-06 Rem.

post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 03:24 PM

I wet the blank to show its features, picture just dose not compare to what it turly shows. It has golden high light that change in the light

Blank is 2 1/4 thick, Im planing on doing a palm swell... center line has be marked and it now time to drill the hole

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page