Grass Trimmer ??? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Default Grass Trimmer ???

Ok I'm looking a new trimmers that will be used to keep the ditch and fence line up my driveway clear. The driveway is a little over 700 feet and of course it doesn't get trimmed as often as trimming around the house so the grass is heave and thick. My real question is for those of you who have trimmers with both the ring type handle and the double handlebar type. Which is better for this type use? it would seem that the handlebar type would be less tiring for trimming that long of a distance but with the shoulder harness it might restrict you distance movement away from you body.
I can get a Stihl FS56 in either configuration but I have never used the handlebar type trimmers before. My Stihl FS44 lasted me a little over 20 years so at 54 years of age I want to get this right as it might possibly be the last one I'll ever have to buy.

Bruce

Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

I quit using the kinda trimmer you are talking of many years ago. I went to the DR trimmer on wheels. It uses far stronger cord and has far more power. I would never again consider the hand held type trimmers.

Bill aka the Graybeard

https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
I quit using the kinda trimmer you are talking of many years ago. I went to the DR trimmer on wheels. It uses far stronger cord and has far more power. I would never again consider the hand held type trimmers.
My uncle had one of those (although I don't think it was a DR) and you are right about the power and stronger cord but the way the hill and the ditch is I think it would be difficult in getting it into some of the area.

Bruce

Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 03:11 PM

I have been happy with Echo. Get a straight shaft no matter which brand you pick.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 AM

I tried the handle bar rig on one trimmer. I took it off and put the "D" ring handle that was on my old trimmer on it. To me the "D" ring type is much easier for me to control. I use a shoulder strap to support the weight and much prefer it over the harness. I have almost a thousand feet of bar ditch to mow since the county seldom does it. I'm lucky in that I can get about 95% of it with my riding mower. I do trim around a bunch of bushes and a couple of trees out in the pasture that I keep mowed so I get my trimmer work out every time I mow. The trimmer seems to get heavier every year.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

I ended up getting the FS56 with the D ring handle. No one stocked the handle bar model and one dealer said it was because they had to order two and the other one would sit there for two years or so.. I figured that the additional cost was only part of it and ease of use was the rest so I went with what was in stock. It works really well and has more power than my old FS44 had when it was working. I got about half of the distance of the ditch done but that half was more than half of the work. It was much thicker than what's left.

Bruce

Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:12 AM

Buy a goat or two. Stake them out where you want everything eaten down.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
Buy a goat or two. Stake them out where you want everything eaten down.

Not a bad idea, and they could also double as bait for shooting coyotes.

Bruce

Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:38 PM

For work we have a couple Sthil brush cutters.
2005 FS 110 a older 1990 FS250
We use to cut back brush and grass around buildings (fire abaitment) and along a airport float plane harbor.
Lots of willow and alder, blueberry bushes, wild rose bushes and labridor tea, and a scrb type willow we just call buck brush, due to the tussok nature of the tundra and soft ground the wheel type string trimmers wont do.
We utilize the string trimmers and two types of steel blades.
The new tri wing type you sharpen with a flat file and the old style circular saw style that requires a round file and a heap of time to sharpen.
When cutting on inclines, ditches and water ways the handle bar type gives you some leverage when cutting sizeable brush.
The Sthil products have held up to some pretty heavy work over the years, given a new sparkplug or new gas line every 6 years.
I buy trimmer line on the 3 pound spool (square line) at each location I work (one less thing to throw in for the boat ride) 5 locations.
I keep a spare trimmer head just in case one has problems (48 mi from town by boat).

Any plant with a bark will make short work of your trimmer line.
Even the heavy stuff.
In the fall time the dry woody stalks of broad leaf plants (worm wood) are really hard on trimmer string line (snow drifting abaitment)
Attached Images

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 01-29-2019 at 05:44 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 06:22 PM

like Mr. graybeard, got one with wheels. what it don't get, STAYS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page