Chainsaw - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Default Chainsaw

Well reading the thread on battery chainsaws in the Pot Stove area made me decide to check Ebay for used chainsaws.
I bid on and got a used rebuilt Homelite SuperXL with 16 inch bar for 71 dollars.
Still may get my old ones fixed but now I have one that runs.

Looking at a good used Dolmar 115 but I am in no hurry now.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Well I now have new used chainsaws.
The Homelite XL listed above and I just got a Dolmar 5100S of of Ebay for 256 with a 20 inch bar.
Reading about the 5100s there were reported problems that a professional Chain saw site said was due to carb. settings to meet Euro emission standards.
They said just reset the carb and it is a very good saw.
So I will first see if it runs, it has a warranty, and then take it in to a good chain saw shop and have them check it over anyway.
I was amazed , a Dolmar 115 I bid on, but lost, sold for only 40 dollars less with out bar and a missing safety brake, plus it did not have free shipping.

At the same time, I decided rather than buy new battery powered drills, Rigid and Ryobi, I will take my battery packs to Batteries Plus for new cells.
There is another site on-line that does this for a low price but shipping pretty much evens things out.

RR
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

I went on a splurge last night: for the Super XL I bought a new unused 16 inch bar and chain from Performance Saw Supply for 47 bucks including shipping.

For the Dolmar I bought a 20 inch Cannon Super Bar with three chains for 120 bucks shipping included.
Then I let curiosity and reduced prices get the best of me; I bought 4 spurs and three chains of Sabre .315 pitch for Homelite though I am not sure it will fit the Super XL and may have to get a XL12 or XL Auto for them.
All were a total of 80 bucks and brand new.
I have found that chain saws, regardless of make, that are in good running condition you need more than a hundred dollar bill and if they are barely used or rebuilt a two hundred dollar ain't enough.
I have McCulloch Eager Beaver that needs new fuel line and filter, and misery to put in and I thought I could get a good used one for as much as fixing it.
**** no, one that is not for parts are ALL over one hundred bucks.

I need a tungsten carbide chain for cutting up railroad ties and may have to get one made in China as those from here are expensive.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 03:29 PM

Are you running skip tooth chains with the full chisel cut or semi chisel? I found a carbide chain for my Husky 55, but its over $100.00 to buy for a 18" bar.

Real trucks dont have spark plugs.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede View Post
Are you running skip tooth chains with the full chisel cut or semi chisel? I found a carbide chain for my Husky 55, but its over $100.00 to buy for a 18" bar.
I want a standard chamfered (semi-chisel) carbide chain.
I have done some searching and found several 72 link for the 20 inch bar saw I have.
One bar is .050 and the other .058 so that gives me some breathing room.

Some are less than 100 bucks, by a goodly amount and some are twice that price.
I may decide to not cut them up till next spring but at least I have an idea of what is out there.
Sad thing is doing a simple on-line search is a bad joke; one has to use multiple searches with a different wording or word order to get anywhere near finding what is actually available.

RR
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 07:19 PM

Yes, on the finding by keywords. I'm running 3/8 pitch chains and converted my Husqvarna 350 to use 3/8 instead of .375 bar and chain.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

The box for the above mentioned Cannon bar and three chains came today; two Husky chains, one Dolmar chain and no bar.
This boy may have made an error or is screwing with the wrong person.

RR
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

I have learned that one reason good used, i.e. not just run well but look good, chainsaws are so expensive, collectors.

From chainsaw forums, the Arboristsite is one of the best, some of these dudes buy saws just because they do not have one for their collection, and from what I have read this is not a small group of people.
Now it seems they do not just buy it and display it, but some fellows who still do a lot of cutting will take out different saws to keep them running well.
I bid on a used, but one that showed very little wear, almost like a show room demonstrator, Stihl .O26; now this saw is one that seems from use, about one of the best Stihls ever made.
This was a Pro model which they also said if you ever do sell your saw will automatically bring more used value.
To make a long story short/er, my highest bid was 586, it sold for 600 dollars, less than the current model, Pro MS-261 which replaced it.

Any saw that was made before emission standards kicked in, are the ones that bring most money.
One the bar I did not get in the post above, I turned it over to Ebay and they will contact him but I have to wait till Nov. 14 before they will do any thing.

RR
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Buying chainsaws/parts on Ebarf has turned into a hemorrhoid
Bought a Cannon guide bar, with two Husky and one Dolmar chain for 117 with shipping. Did not really care about the chains but the bar alone with shipping is 120.
Box arrived, three chains no bar. Dude who sold it was not responding so I contacted Ebay, they said if he did not respond for x days they would take action.
He finally responded and by his attitude he does not believe the bar did not arrive but my buying onsite rank is high so he could not float that boat. (I have boughten four figure items on Ebay)
He offered to refund 70 bucks and I keep the chains, not new chains. that would mean I paid 47 bucks for three used chains.
He also offered to send me, some how, money to return the chains, and then he would give me a full refund. I did not want to deal with the chinese fire drill so I offered if he refunded 85 I would call the case closed.

He did not like that and turned it over to Ebay , whose method of determination, auto-method, is to check if the package was delivered which it obviously was so they said case closed no refund, which meant I paid 117 dollars for three chains.
I immediately got on the phone and surprisingly when I told the auto phome person to give me a real person it did.
I told her what bs was going on, she saw my first online message to him about no bar in the box, and she reopened the case saying if he did not take care of returning, him paying postage and refund by Nov. 20, they would send me post-paid return label and refund my money.

Yesterday I bought a Stihl PRO .026 for 300 dollars plus 50 bucks shipping. As the dude is only 70 miles from me I said I could pick it up .
He had a snit fit about that and said he could not stop the 50 bucks shipping charge, bs, FedEx does not charge till it is shipped, and he would charge me 25 bucks handling and give me 25 bucks when I picked it up, which meant due to price for gasoline going there I would save at most 5 bucks.
The A-- hole in his post said once he mails it, no matter what happens, he is no longer responsible without exceptions.
The guy is a total dick, so today he said where I could meet him, at his other job, but I told him I had already paid through Ebay just mail the da-- thing.
His, and the other dude who commented they worked hard to get a perfect feedback rating are going to get a truly negative one from me.
They earned it.

RR
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Cannon bar dude suddenly accepted my 85 dollar refund offer, transaction finish this morning.
Stihl dude's saw arrived this morning. Fast as greased lightning.
I gave them feedback pretty positive as mimicking them would serve no good purpose.
Jesus said , turn the other cheek.

On the Arborist site people who worked with , and some dealers, said the difference between the PRO and consumer .026 was minor, adjustable oiler that they said was not worth having, chain catch and compression release.
Performance was identical but if you sell resale price for PRO is a lot higher.
I did a check on Ebay of ones sold in the past and I would resale averages darn near 200 dollar difference.

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 11-28-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page