Graybeard Outdoors banner

string trimmer line

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Mule 11 
#1 ·
Anyone use the newer string trimmer line where two lines are joined in the center and wind on the spool as one line? I imagine during use it splits to two separate lines easily. My question is does it work any better at staying untangled on the spool? I use the old standard line and am unable to get through a whole spool without having to stop, disassemble the spool, untangle the line, re-assemble spool and continue. Is there a secret to winding the line on the spool. I am winding in the correct direction...

#2 ·
I've had the best luck when I don't wind the last half on too tight. If you have a loose wrap underneath then wind a few turns on tight the tight wraps will pull down into the loose coils and get hung up.

I'm afraid that occasionally you'll have to pull the spool off to free up the line - just the nature of the beast I guess.

#4 ·
my newest trimmer uses one line 120" long pushed thru the center of the spool and then twist the spool until 6" is all that remains once you get used to it, it works awesome no more line binding at all, Ryobi 40V trimmer they do make it in gas also, I know not what you asked

#6 · (Edited)
I originally thought my issue was improper as the trimmer recommends a type of line that is actually two lines joined together and you split the end for threading through the eyes. Come to find out I wasn't bumping the head frequently enough and the line would break short. Once I started bumping more frequently I could consume the entire spool without stopping to rewind spool.

Goodshot, I have an old trimmer set up with a blade. It is good for brush up to about 3/4" - 7/8" diameter. Not so good for grass or weeds.

Mule 11, what kind of trimmer is it? They're all fairly simple. Did you read or look at the pictures in the manual? Usually I think I'm smart enough not to need to but many times I am wrong...

#11 ·
Sorry just getting back to this. I have the manual and have read it and studied it. Had a problem getting the head off from the beginning and now can’t even remove it with a large pipe wrench. To me it falls under the worthless pos category and may or may not give it another try. If I do I see a new head in its future...

#7 ·
My new trimmer a Kobolt 80 volt battery operated uses 095 twisted line cut a piece about 12 feet long slide through the spool till even on both sides and wind up till full and cut off the excess press the trigger and you are off and trimming no more yanking to get the thing running.

Deaconllb

#8 ·
I bought a trimmer that you walk behind like a lawnmower. cut a piece about two feet long(2 of them). double them in half, feed thru hole. put on hook and your done. takes 30 seconds if your slow. my wife uses it now. haven't trimed in two years. heads up fellows.

#9 ·
I've thought about getting one of those, for some reason these trimmers mess my back up. My stihl trimmer is light, but I still avoid using it. I did change out the head, it uses a mechanism like the one you describe, but shorter line. I carry extra lines in a plastic tube with a belt clip, like the old phone cases. When I first got it, I had a buddy at the stihl dealership change out the head to a stihl brush blade, thinking I could use it on brush at my hunting spot. It just doesn't work that good, so I went back to trimmer line.

#14 ·
Yeah. I know. I’m not a liberal. Went out today, busted the bump nob of and removed the bolt... can use it the way it is but think I’ll get a better designed trimmer head. I would not have wasted my 5 minutes if it would not have started right up with a couple pulls. Oh yeah. Waited till I tried again before responding...

#15 ·
It’s actually righty tighty leftie loosie. Had a non running whacker that the head was good on so put that one on. Had to cut down a 308 case to make a sleeve for it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.