Straight Wall Rifle - Lower MI - Finalized - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Default Straight Wall Rifle - Lower MI - Finalized

DNR just removed sunset provision from the straight wall rifle so it is now a permanent regulation. SO now go get that .44 Henry!
Muddy

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." Ben Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:50 AM

Good news, good news! Do you know if there were any changes made.

So many decisions, do I use my 357 max or my shortened 45/70 or my new to me 1968 Ruger 44 mag carbine

I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

burntmuch, looks like it was renewed "as is" so nothing new so far. I thought this would be the best situation going forward from a potential change politically. After the reg has been in place for additional time as a permanent regulation, I think there will be opportunity to add then. Any changes while in sunset are difficult plus may have affected its tenure going forward. We still have a really good and practical regulation that will improve hunter recruitment for youth, women and even keep old farts like me in the game. Though at 6'4" recoil is not even a smidgeon of thought. I bet straight wall rifles will now fly off the racks so if you want to get one, I think sooner versus later is best bet since inventory will be hit hard going forward now that it is a permanent regulation. As a heads up, I would caution anyone to call DNR to get in writing that a 45-70 cut down is legal. It is technically a tapered case that is straight wall versus pure straight wall like a .44 Mag. I would hope down the road that the 45-70 could be brought in like Ohio's regulation plus the other calibers they included. Ohio based their reg on ours with added calibers. We could not of done the same since politically our version would have failed to get through. Heck, it took 5 years to get it passed as is!
Muddy

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." Ben Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:42 AM

Great news! I was concerned they'd get goofy and not renew it. Over the last few years I've made several rifles specifically to meet the DNR straight walled cartridge guidelines. Started off with a rimless 357Max (357AR) in a few ar15's, then a 1891 mauser in 44x1.8", AR10 in 44x1.8, and the last two were ar15's in 44x1.6". Been gathering parts to make an attempt at a 357Max Marlin 336 for this fall depending on how the summer goes and to see if they renewed the straight walled cartridge rules or let them sunset. It will be nice to know we can still use those rifles.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:01 PM

Yeah I ve been meaning to call the DNR on the 45-70 short. No worries. I've got a 357 max for both girls, then the 44 mag for me. I would love to use the 45/70 , but I'm thankful I don't have to go back to the slug guns.

I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:01 PM

The 450 Bushmaster which is very commonly used has the same case mouth dia, and only .004" less body taper than the 45-70 (.480-.504" v/s .480"-.500". Wouldn't carry any 45/70 rounds with me though.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:43 AM

Good news - finally a bit of common sense from a government agency!

You would think "straight walls" means straight walls, not PARALLEL walls. I think the original intent was to eliminate bottleneck cartridges so logically it shouldn't matter if the walls are tapered.

But, hey, I realize we're talking about a government agency so who knows how they will "interpret" the law.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Spruce, the real problem is that SAAMI does not have a definition listed for straight wall (they do have one for bottleneck though) which I have confirmed with a telephone call to them. SAAMI is well aware of states that have implemented "straight wall" rifle in shotgun zones and this has been a topic of conversation within SAAMI. They have a meeting coming up in June and this may be addressed at that time. From my perspective, I would like to see a very simple definition that states "case wall is straight from case base to mouth" that eliminates any discussion whether the case has a taper from base to mouth. Maybe that will happen and eliminate any further discussion of definitions.
Muddy

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 06:34 AM

happy for you guys. Crazy it didn't happen years ago. theres slug guns out there that will do 200 yards so whats the difference. In all reality its silly to even limit the lower mich hunters to straight wall cases.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Lloyd, the primary purpose of this rule was simply hunter recruitment of youth, women and sustaining older folks that really don't like getting slammed by a slug. Put a 12 year old on bench even with reduced recoil 20 ga and one shot they are looking for their phone. Put them on bench with straight wall rifle and they will shoot often, shoot well and actually have fun. I have seen the results and it is gratifying. The hunter recruitment numbers are going down but without this rule, they would go down even further IMHO. I am speaking from direct knowledge since I authored this rule May 2009 and 59th District Matt Lori put the first HB through the process starting in May 2009. It took us 5 years to beat down DNR to get to the NRC. The reason for the calibers was simple; ask for what is already allowed in handgun but in rifle configuration. Eliminate any chance for technical rejection due to bottleneck calibers etc. This rule would not have passed if we had tried to include other than what was already allowed. The DNR position was solely political without technical basis so if we had added the bottlenecks, they would have had reason which probably would have killed the rule. Now that is has been successful and is being copied into other states, a lot of organizations and folks are claiming the authorship etc. Of course once it is successful, everyone wants to be on the bandwagon. Do I sound a bit peeved? Yup. MUCC declined to participate due to full calendar so I went without them. DNR fought it every inch of the way. Meeting minutes substantiate everything I am saying as fact. I took personal vacation time off for many meetings in Lansing which was a 2.5 hour drive for me each way on my own nickel. We were very lucky to have Rep. Matt Lori and his admin Susan Martin on our team to drive this legislation to conclusion. We also had some additional folks that stepped in when I couldn't make a meeting. Maybe some day we can get some additional calibers but we are pleased to get what we have right now.
Muddy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page