Baiting ban in U.P. CWD area - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Default Baiting ban in U.P. CWD area

Well, this is no surprise. A baiting ban in effect starting now for the U.P. CWD "core area", includes parts of Dickinson, Menominee, and Delta counties. Also eliminates antler point restrictions in said area (only required to have antlers 3" or greater).

https://www.ironmountaindailynews.co...r-baiting-ban/

To my knowledge no one has yet proven a ban on baiting has any effect on the spread of CWD, or that it doesn't have any effect. So here we have another example of an unscientific regulation imposed by the NRC with no proven facts to back up their decision.

Just in case there's someone out there who doesn't know what the NRC is and what power it has, they are a civilian panel appointed by the governor and they set ALL the hunting and fishing regulations. The DNR has no say anymore in hunting and fishing regulations.

In other words, a political panel who have no scientific qualifications and are answerable only to the Governor are the ones now making our game and fish laws! The professionals who work for the DNR can only make recommendations to the NRC, but the NRC has the final say.

I'm glad to see some of our State legislators (Republicans) are strongly voicing their displeasure over these new regs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:26 AM

yup hurt the guy who cant afford land to plant a deer crop on or the disabled vet who cant walk in the woods. Funny thing is there was one deer and never another??? I do crop damage shooting and was never asked to bring in deer. It wasn't even mentioned. WHY did this shooter even bring that deer in? Can you say PLANT! Some farmer who didn't want the hunters posting near his fields and baiting his bucks away.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Makes you wonder why that testing was like a top secret mission - until they found an infected deer. And why were they only testing crop damage deer and not also testing those taken by bow and gun hunters?? Up until they found the infected deer I never heard any rumblings about the DNR doing any testing in the area. I don't personally know any guys doing crop damage shooting, but normally word gets around, but not this time.

The whole concept of the NRC just rubs me the wrong way. It's a political panel appointed by a politician, not a panel composed of persons knowledgeable in wildlife management. Too many times they have set regulations that were against what the professional DNR biologists recommended - proving either their ignorance of sound wildlife management or their intent to advance an agenda - or both.

Another odd thing about this baiting ban is the southern border of the area it takes in. US2 is listed as the southern border instead of the Menominee river! All one has to do is look at a map and see how absurd that is!! The infected deer was supposedly shot 4 miles north of the river which could put it either north of south of US2 depending on the east/west location, but either way it just doesn't make sense to have the highway the boundary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:40 AM

Talking

Seems to me that there was supposed to be a total ban on feeding deer starting Jan 1st 2019?
What happened with that?
To many makeing money selling complain to the right people?

NRC isn't very well thought out but the old days planers were not to bright either.

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:37 PM

We do not have a great deal of experience specifically with CWD, but we do have a good scientific understanding of other contagious wildlife diseases such as bovine tuberculosis and routes of infection which parallel CWD. I think application of general principles of epidemiology(study of infectious disease transmission) to CDW is prudent. We do have considerable scientific experience with communicable disease in livestock, wildlife and humans, some with agents(scrapie, mad cow, Jakob-Creuztfeldt) similar to CWD prions. The APR trophy hunters will complain about lack of CWD scientific data, but if you combine our understanding of 1) maturing deer dispersal, 2) routes of transmission, 3) difficulty in diagnosing CWD in early stages, and 4) persistence of CWD prions in the environment then their arguments don't make any sense.

Typical baiting practices cause more nose to nose contact than crops or natural forage. I agree that it is a fine line between a pile of apples and windfall on the ground around trees in an old orchard.

No one likes the hard decisions that have to be made in complex situations threatening wildlife and future hunting, but we should do everything we can to contain CWD.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Yup, we should try to stop it. I don't think there's any disagreement on that!

The question is what actions can be taken to stop, or at least slow, the spread of it? What the DNR (or more precisely the NRC) is proposing to do here was done in southern Wisconsin several years ago and it has had seemingly no effect on the spread of CWD. But somehow those same measures are going to work in Michigan?

I'm afraid until more is known about CWD implementing regulations in an attempt to stop it is about like trying to swat flies blindfolded.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:20 AM

Talking

Seems some thing should have been learned about CWD since it isn't new to the USA.
I remember reading about it out west back when I was in my 20's that was 50 years ago.

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:18 AM
SEM

Gun Cabinet

These " Panels" of appointed supposed PUBLIC not political persons are just a launching pad for up and coming new politicians, If you do enough digging they are somehow a related or friend of a friend of the appointer "A POLITICAN " just another way of using un seemingly excess tax or license dollars JUST SITTING there unused for any apparent reason, So lets give another up and coming there fair share of WELFARE, Don't worry there will be plenty more money where that came from just INCREASE the license fees 10% each year, Claim its for the good of the wildlife (Wrong kind of wildlife) but no one will know... hee hee hee know what I mean

I know it all started here CALIFORNIA..... Your Welcome
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:40 AM

Like I said. I don't believe there is a problem in the UP. Maybe down state, maybe Wisconson but why should we have to suffer for there problem. Maybe instead of meetings apon meetings to discuss baiting and cwd in the up where it doesn't exist they should be spending our money where the problem exists and in the lab finding ways to stop it. Even donate some of our licience money to WI where they are studying the problem. But to ban baiting is ridiculous. Not when I can ride home from crop damage shooting at night and see 2 or 300 deer in various farm fields on the way home.

What are you going to do ban farming. Burn down all the apple and oak trees in the UP. Shoot off every single deer and hope that none manage to evade us hunters that go 2 or 3 years in a row without a buck?? Like I said its funny that we do crop damage on the biggest farm in delta county and an area that just as many deer as Menomonie county and not a single word to us about turning in heads.

Ive said it before. We have a dnr officer that lives about a mile from one of the fields we shoot in and he hears the shots all the time. He hasn't even stopped by to talk to us in 3 years. If they wanted heads to test we sure would have been near the top of the list. From what I heard the farm that turned that deer head in oddly didn't have someone else shooting deer. They had the time right at harvest time to go out and shoot them themselves and just so happened to see an infected one and know what they were looking at and drove all the way into town to give it to the dnr.

If we shot a deer that had an infections or injury or looked sick wed drag it off in the woods for the coyotes. This was no doubt a farmer that wanted baiting stopped on the lands surrounding his farm. Either because of tresspassers or because he thinks his family owns all the deer in the area and is pissed because someone set a blind up near his property and was shooting some nice bucks. Ive seen that kind of attitude right at the farm we shoot at. They are allways saying baiting should be banned.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page