Weather impact on crops - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Default Weather impact on crops

was driven home at the Fish Point managed waterfowl hunt this weekend.

Heavy spring rain around here prevented spring planting or severely damaged sprouting crops. Those fields were fallow over the summer and many have been recently tilled and planted with winter wheat and perhaps rye.

Hunting cover, typically corn, was sparse in most of the Fish Point hunting spots and nonexistent in whole fields. Heavy spring rains destroyed three corn plantings at the game management area and this condition was exacerbated by lack of DNR resources to plant "on demand" in the few narrow windows that did open up later during planting season.

Last edited by M134 Troll; 10-15-2019 at 10:37 PM. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 05:21 AM

It's been a wet year around here too. I don't think I've ever seen such lush growth in the woods as there is this year - ferns, raspberry bushes, and high grass in all the grouse covers.

Rivers and creeks never got down to their normal low summer level and are still much higher than normal for this time of year.

I think the wet spring also adversely affected the grouse during nesting season. Not seeing near as many birds as I expected, and the ones I'm seeing have all been mature birds - no young, dumb birds or family groups in the early season like you usually see.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:49 AM

potato farm we do crop damage shooting at had to leave about 15 percent of there potatos in the ground to rot because the fields were to muddy to get tractors and trucks into to harvest them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M134 Troll View Post
was driven home at the Fish Point managed waterfowl hunt this weekend.

Heavy spring rain around here prevented spring planting or severely damaged sprouting crops. Those fields were fallow over the summer and many have been recently tilled and planted with winter wheat and perhaps rye.

Hunting cover, typically corn, was sparse in most of the Fish Point hunting spots and nonexistent in whole fields. Heavy spring rains destroyed three corn plantings at the game management area and this condition was exacerbated by lack of DNR resources to plant "on demand" in the few narrow windows that did open up later during planting season.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:38 PM

My brother got about 20% of his crop in out of 900+ acres. He does no-till so, he can't till to get help dry out the soil, so he was in worst shape than anyone else around here. We have had a lot lately too, so all the low land is flooded. Very little corn around here, because you can plant soybeans later and still get a crop, so we are seeing far more deer around than normal this time of year.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page