Henry Single Shot .44 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Default Henry Single Shot .44

I was in my LGS yesterday to pick up a bolt gun I had ordered and on impulse picked up a Henry .44. He has a very large selection of Henry lever guns and had two of the single shots; the .44 and a .223. Since I was buying 2 guns and he was getting tired of dusting the Henry (it had been sitting there several months) he knocked a few bucks off and I got it for $379. I find it amazing the quality of wood that Henry uses. Ruger should give them a call and find out who their lumber supplier is as the wood on these Henrys is FAR better than the wood on any of the current Ruger No.1s. Anywho I'm itching to head to the range with it. Too bad Henry doesn't offer their single shot in .357 Magnum as they'd have that segment of the market all to themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

I suppose it is in bad taste to respond to one's own post but as Paul Harvey knew there is always more to the story so here goes. I got my beautiful new rifle home (and it is surprisingly beautiful wood) and like with most new guns I cleaned it up and ran a few patches down the bore. I ordered the Weaver #82 scope base and it fit fine BUT there is only one option in where to mount your scope as there are only two slots in the base making it impossible to position any of my scopes far enough back to get a proper eye relief. That's no fault of the gun and is just bizarre manufacturing specs from Weaver so if you get one of these and want to put a scope on it just get the EGW/Henry base and you should be good. Now on to the bad...I decided I'd do some dry firing and get used to the trigger. In the store I had cocked and dropped the hammer with my thumb on it but never let it fall fully free. Upon trying the trigger on an empty case I discovered that this particular Henry has the absolute worst trigger I've ever felt on any gun including Red Ryder BB guns. It has so much initial creep that the trigger actually "breaks" twice; when enough slack is taken up there's a slight false break then more take up before the actual break and the hammer falls. It almost sounds like a very hard, very bad set trigger. I am incredibly disappointed but it looks like Henry is no different than all the other gun makers in turning out partially finished guns that they'll then finish the second time around. I sure don't look forward to the headache of boxing this back up and shipping it back to where it never should have left in the first place. Honestly if someone were standing in front of me with $250 they could have it!!!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Read the Henry forum discussions on the single shot, there's also a thread in the H&R forum. I sent my 308 to Henry to reduce the 7+lb trigger pull, it was fairly smooth but heavy, it came back heavier and no longer smooth after they replaced the trigger guard for who know what reason! Mac11700 had the same problem with his. Henry offered to try again, but I declined, I don't think their gunsmiths have a clue how to do a trigger job on the single shots, I did my own to 3Żlbs.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdtoo View Post
Read the Henry forum discussions on the single shot, there's also a thread in the H&R forum. I sent my 308 to Henry to reduce the 7+lb trigger pull, it was fairly smooth but heavy, it came back heavier and no longer smooth after they replaced the trigger guard for who know what reason! Mac11700 had the same problem with his. Henry offered to try again, but I declined, I don't think their gunsmiths have a clue how to do a trigger job on the single shots, I did my own to 3Żlbs.

Tim
Thanks for the info Tim. I should have done more research. I think I'll just send this one on its way and let the next guy worry with it.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 12:01 AM

762X51

I started to answer your first post a few days ago but ended up deleting my response...didn't want to throw a wet blanket on your "new gun buzz". I've been looking for a H015-44 for a long time and spotted one about a month ago on a Gun Broker penny auction. I threw in a low bid not expecting much...and won. I was impressed with the looks and feel of the gun when I pulled it out of the box at the lgs but not so happy when I tried the trigger. I was hoping it would slick up some with use but it is still a very heavy 3 stage pull along with a hammer that feels like it's compressing a truck spring. I can imagine someone thinking this would be a good starter deer rifle for a young shooter but a lot of kids would probably lack the hand strength to **** it. I think the gun may be accurate but it took all the concentration I could muster to stay on a 10" target shooting offhand at 50 yards. After putting a little over 50 rounds through it I noticed the buttstock was loose....that did it. I hate the hassle of boxing and shipping but the nice lady at Henry customer service said send it back and promptly e-mailed a shipping label.

So....that's where it is now. They got it last Thursday and sent an e-mail that it was logged in for repairs. I gave the lady specifics on my problem with the hammer and trigger pull and the loose stock and also wrapped a note around the gun for the service person...just in case there was any miscommunication. Tim or any reasonably skilled smith could probably make this thing sweet and clean but I'm too old to pretend I'm a gunsmith.

If.....Henry fixes this gun I'll be a happy camper because I like everything else about it. If they just tighten the stock bolt and send it back there will be two of them out there for sale but I'd have to get a little over $250.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:03 PM

UPDATE....Just like the original poster I've got to tell the "rest of the story"... The Henry came back today and as feared, they just tightened down the stock bolt which I could have done myself. I stressed my problem with the heavy and creepy 3 stage pull with the lady on the phone and also in a note wrapped around gun. The following statement was listed as "Supervisory Notes"...

"The trigger pull relates to both safety and misfires. We are not going to be able to reduce trigger pull as it is set where it is for safety purposes. If we back down on that we are jeopardizing the safety and proper functionality of the rifle."

So...I'll send Mr. Imperato an e-mail and respectfully express my thoughts and then make the decision to either find a good smith or sell it at the next gunshow. This is my first Henry but the "new gun buzz" is long gone.....
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

At least they admitted they couldn't do a trigger job on it, but what a lousy excuse, that in my mind says they have inept gunsmiths working for them, apparently they're just mechanics, they know how to replace parts, but nothing more.

Tim

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 10:13 PM

Tim

Ive decided to keep the gun. Henry customer service people have been top notch...except they didn't do a trigger job. I like the little rifle and will wait until someone markets a fix. Henry sent me another shipping label but I doubt I'll send it back again. It doesn't sound like this trigger is that hard to work on.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

It's actually a lot easier to work on than a Handi, no special techniques or tricks are required for R&R, removing the smaller hammer spring alone helps a lot as long as it doesn't cause light primer strikes.

Tim

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:24 AM

Just curious Tim,

Did you just remove parts and lightly stone and smooth them? Or, did you have to actually reduce sear engagement surfaces/matings etc. (With my poor skills, I would never try that.)

Thanks,

Mannyrock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page