The complete Henry H015 trigger/hammer fix ... - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
rfd

Default The complete Henry H015 trigger/hammer fix ...

The Henry H015 single shot rifle is a high quality made-in-USA rifle that has great components and workmanship, not to mention real American walnut fore and butt stocks, with great figuring. So what's not to like? The Achilles Heel of this gun is its Horrible heavy trigger (and hammer) pull. We're talking a trigger pull of well over 6#, and 8# or more is not uncommon. Since the trigger spring also sets the hammer spring pull, pulling back the hammer to full c0ck is a chore as well. Internally, the trigger and hammer are powered by a set of nestled springs, a large main spring with a smaller spring inside it, both kept inside a tube. It is very easy to get to these springs, remove both, and replace with a better, lighter compression spring. It's that easy, and the results are like night and day.

BEFORE AND AFTER THE SPRING SWAP ....

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/2055799210-post1.html

HOW TO SWAP OUT THE SPRINGS ...

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/2055795564-post1.html

WHERE TO GET THE PROPER SPRING ....

Grainger spring # 54MY45 - only sold in sets of 10 fpr $17.30 plus shipping. That pack of ten cost me just over $30 with shipping included. So now y'all where to get the Henry H015 fix spring that will take that 7-8 pound trigger/hammer and make it just over a 3 pound pull - AND lighten the hammer pull at the same time.

https://www.grainger.com/product/SPE...chQuery=54MY45

NRA Patriot Life Member ~ NRA RSO ~ www.BuffaloRifles.org ~ www.BPGang.com ~ www.TradMLA.org ~ www.TradGang.com
The ONLY government I trust is the .45-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Ebay has the same spring pack for a little over $22 shipped.

Tim

https://www.ebay.com/i/273445557456?chn=ps

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
rfd

good deal, tim!

i suspect there's a good chance that wolff or some other accessories outfit will be offering them individually for a fair price.

NRA Patriot Life Member ~ NRA RSO ~ www.BuffaloRifles.org ~ www.BPGang.com ~ www.TradMLA.org ~ www.TradGang.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Henry should just do it right in the first place!

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
rfd

you would think that, eh? i've had some correspondence with the owner and his general manager ....

Thank you for owning a Henry. We appreciate your feedback and support. I agree with your assessment of the trigger/hammer on the H015 models. Please allow me to explain.

Henry is a member of the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute (SAAMI). SAAMI manages our industry standards for safety, interchangeability, reliability, and quality of firearms, ammunition and components. One of the final steps in developing a new model is testing of actual production parts to make sure that we meet or exceed SAAMI standards. There are specific tests defined by SAAMI that require specialized equipment and procedures.

We were forced to use a heavier spring in the H015 models to comply with these standards. We cannot endorse modifying the spring to a lighter force because it may not pass a drop test. I think it goes without saying that overall safe operation comes first and unfortunately trigger pull comes later. Some people may say that it is not a realistic test to drop a rifle in 6 different positions from 4 feet in the air onto a hard surface but that is the standard, and that heavier spring was only considered after unsuccessful tests with lighter springs.

We certainly understand the issue and intend to redesign in order to accomplish safety and better hammer/trigger performance. In the meantime, we cannot endorse modifying this spring. Thank you for writing us. Please feel free to reach out us any time.

Sincerely,

Andy Wickstrom, General Manager

Henry Repeating Arms
107 W. Coleman St.
Rice Lake, WI 54868

Office: 715.736.3030

Email: [email protected]

Web: www.henryusa.com

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 08:52 PM

I can understand the "test" requirements. And, maybe when dropped from four feet in different positions WITH THE RIFLE COCKED, the result is it firing. I don't know about others, but when I have a rifle with an exposed hammer, while hunting, the hammer doesn't get pulled back until I have a target and am ready to aim/shoot.

I've done a lot of smoothing on my trigger and got it down to about 3 1/2 lbs. I will try changing out the springs and see how that does. May lighten it some more.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
rfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzerbotz View Post
I can understand the "test" requirements. And, maybe when dropped from four feet in different positions WITH THE RIFLE COCKED, the result is it firing. I don't know about others, but when I have a rifle with an exposed hammer, while hunting, the hammer doesn't get pulled back until I have a target and am ready to aim/shoot.
exactly.

however, i can understand the henryUSA reluctance to offer these guns with FAR better trigger springs, considering our litigious society these dayze. but for a few bucks, the fix is in. no sear work required ... in fact, i wouldn't do any as a new gun will "wear in" just fine on its own, and having a 3# to 3.5# trigger from the get-go is perfect for most folks.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
rfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzerbotz View Post
... I've done a lot of smoothing on my trigger and got it down to about 3 1/2 lbs. I will try changing out the springs and see how that does. May lighten it some more.
most sears, particularly on this henry and the H&R handy guns, are surface hardened only. i would be careful about doing too much sear "smoothing".

if yer already down to about 3.5#, what did it originally scale out to?

with yer current trigger weight, going to a 31# trigger/hammer spring might be, er, "interesting". if you do the spring swap, please post and share the results.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:08 PM

Got the springs from Grainger last Friday. Did the change out and went to the range on Saturday. Did fine with the Hornady Black. But, tried some Monarch. Thought it was Privi Partizan re-branded, but it is made in Russia. Anyway, without the small inner spring, would not fire the Monarch. So, I imagine it would be the same with Wolf or any of the other foreign ammo. My guess is they are made with harder primers. I put the small inner spring back in and then put some washers on the stock bolt to lessen the compression. Would not fire the Monarch with any washers on the bolt. So, ended up using the Grainger spring and the small inner spring, as I want the rifle to be able to fire any ammo.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
rfd

with the 31# spring installed, my henry .223rem with hand loads with rem 6-1/2 primers fired 55 times in a row, no problem.

with the 31# spring installed, my henry .357mag with hand loads loaded with cci 500 primers fired twice out of every ten rounds. installed the stock small spring inside the 31# spring and fired 35 rounds of the same hand loads in a row.

adding in the small spring increased the hammer pull weight, but also the trigger as well - not a bunch, but it was there nonetheless from an average of 3.0# to an average of 3.4#. since i have an extra small spring, i'm going to see if i can measure it for a replacement with a tad less compression, or just lop off a one coil and see how it goes.

also, there is no question to me that with continued use the trigger alone will smooth out and just be better.

bottom line for me is that the stock springs are just wrong and they need replacing. i predict that wolff or some other aftermarket accessory outfit will figure out a set of springs specifically for the henry h015.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page