Henry's new guns with side gate loading. - Graybeard Outdoors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Darto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 940
Default Henry's new guns with side gate loading.



A couple of videos went up on Youtube today on the new Henrys.

30-30
38-55
35 Rem





Darto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:16 PM
Senior Member
 
8uck5nort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,673
Default

I just saw an article on these. So ya beat me to it! Very nice.

In 35 Remington too!

Cartridges for My Entertainment: 22lr, .223 Rem, 30-06, 380 ACP, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, , 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP. Mmmmkay what project can I do next... oh, I can't right now I am going hunting!
8uck5nort is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:16 PM
Senior Member
 
DEACONLLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Green country Oklahoma
Posts: 5,089
Default

I really wish they had not shown that, now which of us will have one first?

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
DEACONLLB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vulcan, Michigan
Posts: 9,714
Default

Yes, very nice! But after checking the MSRP I think I'd just buy two nice used Marlins in .35 Rem. - and maybe have enough money left over for a couple boxes of ammo!
spruce is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:32 AM
Senior Member
 
8uck5nort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Yes, very nice! But after checking the MSRP I think I'd just buy two nice used Marlins in .35 Rem. - and maybe have enough money left over for a couple boxes of ammo!
Henry is proud of 'em for sure. I think justifiably so. Like you, I think the Marlins work just fine too and at a lot less cost. Still if money was not an issue....
8uck5nort is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
ironglow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: rural southwestern N.Y. State
Posts: 43,691
Default

I guess I am different..

I like the tube feed. I don't like feeding through the gate on the Marlin 30/30..

1) It usually takes some wedging and cramming to get the rounds through the gate and into the tube. I was always concerned that the seating & crimp of the bullet may be affected.

2) I didn't like shucking all the cartridges through the action to unload the rifle.

But that's just me... Some like Pepsi, some like Coke..

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)

Last edited by ironglow; 04-30-2019 at 05:49 PM.
ironglow is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:59 AM
Dee
Moderator
 
Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 23,326
Default

Well, I just got this Henry carbine in 4570, and it points good, but not better than the 336 marlin 3030 I have, and certainly not better than my old Winchester 94.
If I had to choose between the three, I might pick the Marlin.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
Dee is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Darto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
I guess I am different..

I like the tube feed. I don't like feeding through the gate on the Marlin 30/30..

1) It usually takes some wedging and cramming to get the rounds through the gate and into the tube. I was always concerned that the seating & crimp of the bullet may be affected.

2) I didn't like shucking all the cartridges through the action to unload the rifle.

But that's just me... Some like Pepsi, some like Coke..

I prefer tube feed also. Anyone with arthritic or cold hands can easily pick up a round with any two fingers and drop them down the tube without having to force them in.


But when you are hidden, a loading gate is handy to stay that way while reloading. Like when the Indians or outlaws don't leave after a few shots. Or the deer stay grazing peacefully as you fire a whole tubefull. But somehow in the real that never happens, and so then I can stand up and reload thru the tube with no reason to hide.
Darto is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:10 AM
Senior Member
 
8uck5nort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
I prefer tube feed also. Anyone with arthritic or cold hands can easily pick up a round with any two fingers and drop them down the tube without having to force them in.


But when you are hidden, a loading gate is handy to stay that way while reloading. Like when the Indians or outlaws don't leave after a few shots. Or the deer stay grazing peacefully as you fire a whole tubefull. But somehow in the real that never happens, and so then I can stand up and reload thru the tube with no reason to hide.
Yeah, I like the tube fed too.

I had a Rossi in 357 mag and trying to load the smaller cases in the side gate was a real pain.

I never worried about a ninja or tactical reloads on a lever action.

However, I did see that Marlin is coming out with all black and threaded barrel lever actions... Hmmm, I guess it would be pretty cool to see if they can incorporate a tactical lever action into a John Wick movie.

Cartridges for My Entertainment: 22lr, .223 Rem, 30-06, 380 ACP, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, , 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP. Mmmmkay what project can I do next... oh, I can't right now I am going hunting!
8uck5nort is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Racing Capitol of the World - Daytona Beach
Posts: 110
Default

Ordered mine today. A .38-55 has my name on it.

Owning a firearm doesn't make you armed anymore than owning a guitar makes you a musician...words of Jeff Cooper...one of my favorites.
TheMrNotSoFamous is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome