Henry H015 .30-30- short range report - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Default Henry H015 .30-30- short range report

I took my new Henry single shot .30-30 to the range twice today.

I've owned 4 NEF/H&R Handi Rifles (still have 3 of them), so I think I have a pretty good idea what to expect from break-open single shot rifles. And, I think a comparison with the NEF is fair.

The bottom line--

Where the Henry wins: Henry makes a very nice looking rifle.

Where the Henry loses- everywhere else.

Having gathered as much information as I could ahead of time, when the rifle arrived I had a scope base, hammer spur and the 31# Grainger spring ready to go.

The Grainger spring is a non-starter in this rifle. Testing rounds with WLR, CCI 200, and Federal primers (in factory rounds): 17 out of 20 misfires.

Brought the rifle back home- primed some cases and tested with the original springs with the small one removed, with the Grainger spring with the small spring in.... Nope, the only springs that were dependable were the factory Henry springs. So I went back to the range with those back in.

Even with the factory springs I had 2 misfires (with WLR primers, which are not known to be hard to ignite) out of 45 rounds fired.

Accuracy was sorta OK with Hornady 160 FTX handloads (2.5"), but I cannot say whether this rifle is just inherently not any more accurate than that because of the insufferable trigger pull.

I'm debating now whether to send it in and do the warranty song and dance with Henry-- though I have my doubts given they think their awful trigger pull is a feature-- or to just trade it off and take the loss.

I can say I am 59 years old and have owned a lot of firearms over the years. I can't recall ever instantly being such Not A Fan of any rifle I have ever owned.

What torques me is I almost bought a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 instead. That is what I should have done.

One of the Grainger springs has been promised to a forum member- I'll be selling the other 9.

"You cain't teach what you don't know anymore than you can come back from where you ain't been"- John Osteen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

How's the fit in the chamber for your rounds? Maybe a little deep on the rim cut maybe? I just removed the smaller hammer spring and have not had a problem with misfires, pin strikes are plenty deep on my 308 Win. As far as Henry fixing the misfire problem, they should take care of that, but having to deal with the heavy trigger is just wrong, they made mine worse when they worked on it, I complained and they offered to"fix" it again, but I declined and fixed it myself with a trigger/hammer hone and removal of the small hammer spring. One option that I've thought of, but didn't try, is use both springs, but remove a little off the stock bolt or use a washer on the bolt so it doesn't compress the small spring as much to get a happy medium.

Best of luck,

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdtoo View Post
How's the fit in the chamber for your rounds? Maybe a little deep on the rim cut maybe? I just removed the smaller hammer spring and have not had a problem with misfires, pin strikes are plenty deep on my 308 Win. As far as Henry fixing the misfire problem, they should take care of that, but having to deal with the heavy trigger is just wrong, they made mine worse when they worked on it, I complained and they offered to"fix" it again, but I declined and fixed it myself with a trigger/hammer hone and removal of the small hammer spring. One option that I've thought of, but didn't try, is use both springs, but remove a little off the stock bolt or use a washer on the bolt so it doesn't compress the small spring as much to get a happy medium.

Best of luck,

Tim
Thanks Tim- It didn't seem out of the ordinary, but I was not looking closely for the rim cut. I'll do that tomorrow.

I had read your remark about the larger spring without the smaller one working, and thanks for putting that up here- but no such luck for me.

You know, how can Henry be the only maker of these kinds of rifles who has not figured out a decent trigger-- and then insist that's how it has to be?

"You cain't teach what you don't know anymore than you can come back from where you ain't been"- John Osteen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:54 AM

I went through pretty much the same experience. Fit and finish are great, but Henry really dropped the ball with that trigger.

I went so far as to send the gun back, and was offered hats, key rings, and tee shirts... all touting Henry. NOT a solution!

The rifle returned with a note saying that's the way it has to be. Still NOT a solution!

I must say the rifle does shoot well, but I find myself thinking about the trigger, not concentrating on the sight picture nor target. Horrible creep and a heavy trigger. But that being said, I can hit a 200 yard gong very reliably. At closer range, shots are touching.

I had numerous misfires with the original springs, and the grainger spring, which if anyone needs one, let me know, and any combination thereof. Different primers still produced misfires. Since getting the rifle back, I've had no misfires, but the trigger is still horrible.

I'll keep the rifle in hopes they come to their senses and offer a solution, but sure won't buy another Henry until that happens.

Anyone considering a single shot purchase should choose a different option. Like you, I had almost purchased a Ruger K1A in 30-30 instead. Thought I'd save a few bucks, but instead got a headache. I've taken apart and re-assembled this new rifle at least 50 times, not to mention packaging the whole shebang up and sending it home with little change upon return. I don't think that should be necessary for a new rifle purchase. Like I said, NEVER again!

Last edited by littlecmonkey; 10-16-2019 at 12:01 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I am sorry to hear that-- and suspect I am in for the same ordeal.

If that ends up being the case, I'll just trade it off while it still looks new. I won't keep a gun I really don't like.

They can keep their trinkets. I wanted a good rifle, not problems to solve.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:33 PM

not to be a smart ass! why don't you guys get out of the junk yard. why buy a piece of junk? with all the talk on this forum, you know they are no good.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:50 PM

I suppose you're right cat. I was smitten by the figure in the lumber on mine, and have been pleased with other "junk", like handi rifles and CVA scouts.

But true, none of them compare to my Blaser K-95. I guess I just like all guns.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatercat View Post
not to be a smart ass! why don't you guys get out of the junk yard. why buy a piece of junk? with all the talk on this forum, you know they are no good.
I was not aware of all the problems these rifles have- I did read of the results some have had with the Grainger spring and figured that was a fix.

Fair question, I guess.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Default Follow-up: Henry Single Shot back from warranty repair

My .30-30 single shot is now back from Henry. The accompanying note says they replaced the firing pin and checked out the rifle. Though the heavy hammer and trigger pull was mentioned in the warranty submission, nothing was apparently done to that.

So... I removed the inner spring and tested 10 primed cases- 5 with CCI 200 and 5 with WLR- I could not fire more than 3 consecutively without a misfire before.

All ten fired without a hitch, and while the trigger still feels like it has a hinge in the middle, I can live with the reduced weight with the one spring for the time being. I'll look at stoning the trigger/hammer once hunting season is over and give the Grainger spring another try, as well as polishing everything that moves in the trigger group.

This is a workable short term solution. I still think it's pretty crappy we have to go to this trouble to make the rifles acceptable shooters, but as least we can improve it some.

Thanks for all the info here. We'll see how it does at the range this weekend.

Rick

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Glad they fixed the misfire problem, too bad they didn't fix the trigger, but not unexpected. My trigger was better before they worked on it, a hinge is a good description of how mine came back, still heavy, but before they worked on it, it was smooth.

I merged this followup with the original for continuity so there's no question on how it turned out.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page