Father and Son Mule Deer or Cow Elk Hunt in Wyoming 2016 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Default Father and Son Mule Deer or Cow Elk Hunt in Wyoming 2016

I am putting together a hunting trip with my son for the 2016 season. This is something my son and I have been talking about doing for a couple of years and after a couple of false starts in 2014 and this year, finally circumstances, mainly medical and monetary, have aligned to give us a shot at pulling this off.
Neither my son or myself have been to Wyoming so if anyone is going out in 2016 and don't mind a couple of newbies tagging along....
I have done a lot of research on the draw system and think I got it somewhat figured out.
I think I would like to purchase a preference point for 2016 on mule deer and maybe elk to ensure this happens for next season, but question is where to go to ensure a resonable chance to draw and at least get a good shot at some hunhting success. Neither of us are what you would call a trophy hunter, so just getting a shot opportunity on a mule deer would be great. Cow elk for us is an opportunity to get up in some country we have never seen before and bring home some elk meat. I just don't know which region for deer. I was thinking region D and for cow elk it looks it looks like it is only about a 40% chance that we can even draw a tag in the first year.
We would even consider hiring an outfitter, but that would stretch the finances, but it is an option.
I know Jedman has a lot of good information so please jump in. You planted the idea in the first place.
Appreciate your time and reply.

Cartridges for My Entertainment: 22lr, .223 Rem, 30-06, 380 ACP, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, , 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP. Mmmmkay what project can I do next... oh, I can't right now I am going hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 01:38 PM

Gun Cabinet
Default Re: Father and Son Mule Deer or Cow Elk Hunt in Wyoming 2016

I tried a Cow Elk hunt in WY back in 2012. Myself and 3 others were able to buy Cow/ Calf online in July as leftover licenses in area 9 without any points. We found a good place to stay in Woods Landing , WY and our plan was to hunt the Medicine Bow National Forest that is all over the area. So there was 4 of us and we stayed in 2 small cabins and hunted as 2 separate groups and spent evenings talking about what we seen and found that day while hunting as none of us knew anything about the area. Being public land and opening day for Elk and Mule Deer it was crowded and finding areas to get to without horses is tough as none of us are in great shape to hike miles in 9000' elevation. As luck would have it we seen more Moose than anything else ?? In 4 days I seen 9 Moose, 2 Bulls, 5 Cows, 2 Calves, 0 Elk, several small mule bucks and a lot of mule does.
One of the guys in our party did see and get a shot at a Cow Elk but missed. He over estimated the range and held just over the shoulders and that's where the bullet went > " missed by that much " ??? :-[
We all went home empty handed but had a Great time and it didn't cost too much. That area for mule deer was buck only and there were a lot of deer hunters at our camp that never seen a buck.
What we learned and new from the start was hunting Public land is very competitive and without much knowledge of the hunting area except from studying maps and only having 5 days to hunt your likelihood of success is pretty low. There was plenty of Elk sign in the area but there's not many dumb ones waiting to be shot at. They go where it's hard for you to go and in the first week of October they are mostly above 10000'.
If you can go hunting after snows have drove them down lower and get out without getting stuck or stranded by storms they would be easier to find and the success higher but to plan and execute doing that from 1200 miles away is a big chance at hitting the date right when you can get off work and get out there.

It can be done ,and hope to do it again myself. This year I missed out not getting any antelope tags as they were all sold out before the leftovers were for sale for the area I hunt. That has never happened before.

jedman

Still kickin
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

I am sure we will talk a lot more at the GBO shoot this upcoming September, but when I looked at this years left-over tags they were pretty slim pickings. Are you going to start purchasing preference points this summer for next year?

Cartridges for My Entertainment: 22lr, .223 Rem, 30-06, 380 ACP, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, , 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP. Mmmmkay what project can I do next... oh, I can't right now I am going hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Well with work a bear and my son changing jobs I thought this was anther no go, but we just bought our preference points for a mule deer. We just need to apply in Jan for the license and we knock down another step. T -Min us one year and counting...

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Ok. My sons new job did not work out. He is now back at his old job. Reset the vacation counter and now our Trip out west is back on hold of off. Just can't seem to get this squared up. So no Wyoming mule deer in October

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Default Re: Father and Son Mule Deer or Cow Elk Hunt in Wyoming 2016 -Not

My sons new job just didn't work out. He is now back at his old job, but was gone long enough they reset his vacation counter. So Wyoming is on hold for now. We just can't seem to get everything going in the right direction on this. Oh well.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 07:25 PM

Gun Cabinet

I plan on trying to get doe antelope tags for area 9 for fall 2016. I need to call the DNR and discuss there quotas for that area. severe drought for a couple of years and a huge snow storm in Oct 2013 seemed to hit the game hard.
Our hunting party got hit by that storm opening week in 2013 and it cut us all short of filling all of our tags as we only had 2 1/2 days of hunting. This past summer, June of 2015 they had the opposite, Flooding and the town of Lusk was really hit hard, What Next ?
I made a full size cow decoy out of 1/4 plywood and it folds down to a manageable size. I didn't get to try it out in 2013 as it was to windy and it needs to be calm to take it out. It's on my bucket list to sneak up on a group of antelope looking like a retarded black Angus cow and get within 50-60 yards of a group of goats then drop he decoy and start shooting if I or ( we ) can keep from laughing long enough . ;D ;D

I would still like to try another cow Elk hunt as well, but need to get some insider information on the hunting area as I stated before hunting public land is really tuff and probably need to have at least a extra week to scout the area before the season starts not easy for guys like us that live 1200 miles away

jedman

Still kickin
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Update! My son and I are picking up another mule deer preference point. We are rescheduling this hunt for 2018 or 2019 depending on finances. We will just keep stacking points and when all things align pull the trigger have a for sure draw chance and go. We just need to stay employed and stay healthy.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:13 PM

Gun Cabinet

bucksnort,

I finally was drawn for 2 doe antelope tags this year. None of my huntin friends were drawn so it will be just me the wife and dog this year.
It will be more of a relaxed time as I only will have 2 tags to fill and no date I have to be home by this time.

jedman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page