Graybeard Outdoors banner

Yes or No on PMR-30

20K views 79 replies 29 participants last post by  hunter6657 
#1 ·
I find the PMR-30...a 22 mag semi, interesting. American Rifleman did a good report on one , now what is your opinion ?

#2 ·
i like what ive seen and heard about the pmr 30 but with a rear sight that cant be moved im a little shy of it.add a elevation and windage adjustable rear sight and ill buy one in a heartbeat.ill not pay what they are asking for a gun that may or may not shoot to POA.i really dont want to eff around gettin different height front sites and pounding it right or left. they really missed the boat on this one.all it needed was a good rear site.

#3 ·
I have had my hands on two... both times passed on them but I dont know if I will pass on the next one...

They are plastic and allot of it and it feels like plastic... Makes the Glock feel like a real gun... Twenty years ago there was another 22RF made of plastic... It had a funky grip. I cannot remember the maker, but they also made plastic mags for the Ruger 10/22. I did not like that one either... VERY toy like.

BUT the reports are very favorable and it comes with TWO 30 round mags....

CW

#6 ·
I paid more than I wanted to for one 2-3 months ago. 1st shot failed to eject. 2nd shot-same result.
Sent it back to Kel-Tec & got it back in less than 10 days. Next day at the range, had a case head separation that blew off the slide release button. Contacted Kel-Tec & they mailed me a new one. Gorilla glued it on & have had no further problems.
My impression so far: "toy" gun but a good shooter. GREAT trigger and you can really heat up the barrel with the 30 round mags. Don't like the sights much so far & will likely put a laser on it then attempt to find a holster that will accommodate the laser and is left handed. Folks say it's accurate but thus far I've only function tested it. We'll see.
Overall, I like it so far. Is it a "plastic" gun? Yup. Does it look "Buck Rogers-ish"? Yup. It's a hoot emptying 30 rd mags though.
I can't think for the life of me what it's practical application might be but I had to have it. :>)

#7 ·
Im a touch fascinated with the lightweight 30 round piece myself. If the reliability works out and you can mount a laser sight, it should make a great self defense gun. The light recoil should lead to good strings of hits and cover multiple targets as bad guys have been know to run in packs.

Haven't had my hands on one yet so not sure how easy it would be to carry.

If my wife could shoot the PMR half as good as she shoots my Ruger Mk 1 I'd be glad to have her covering me when bad guys go "bump" in the night.

Silvertp

#8 ·
Silvertp[/color]

It's deceptively lightweight, even with a loaded mag. Balances very well and has been reliable since the factory fix-nary a jam or a stovepipe no matter how fast you pull the trigget.

From their websit:
Calibers:.22 Magnum(.22WMR)
Weight unloaded:[/color]13.6oz.[/color]385.6g
Loaded Magazine:6oz.170.1g
Length:7.9"200.7mm
Height:5.8"147.3mm
Width:1.3"33.0mm
Barrel length:4.3"109.2mm
Sight radius:6.9"175.3mm
Energy (40gr):138ft-lbs187J
Capacity:30 rounds
Trigger pull:4-6 lbs.17.8-26.7N

The laser I'm looking is the Compact V3 from Laserlyte (I think)[/color]

#9 ·
Uncle Harry...

How is the recoil in that light wt. pistol? I'm guessing you can tell when it goes off but not objectionable in the least? Recovery and regaining the sight picture should be quick.

Maybe you could post a range report some time to shed some light on its accuracy potential.

Guess I need to take a trip to the city so I can see how the PMR fits my hand.. ;D

Silvertp

#10 ·
Silvertp[/color]

Recoil is noticible since it is a 22WMR and it is lightweight. Certainly not objectionable but the recoil action of the slide generates recoil. It's easy to return to target though. So far, everyone who's shot it likes it.

As I mentioned, I have yet to check it for accuracy and, in the meantime, I've managed to take a tumble and break my hip so it'll be a while until I can get to the range. :>(

Others have reported good to excellent accuracy however.

Depending on your hand size, you may or may not like the grip. It's shaped a little different than many handguns to accommodate the big magazine. I like it just fine.

#11 ·
Dang Uncle Harry....sorry to hear about you breaking a hip. That has to be pain full. Even worse during hunting season. Get well soon.

I did read the American Rifleman article and was very impressed with their report on accuracy. They tried 3 brands of ammo and saw their smallest 5 shot groups from under an inch to just over an inch at 25 yards. The largest of the groups was under 2 1/2 inches. That is plenty good for rabbits and various vermin.

Silvertp

#13 ·
So it's been six months... Did you get one? If so do you like it?

I have deposits down again and WILL buy it this time! I have extra mags and ammo stock piled waiting!

CW

#14 ·
yes love mine shoots good no kick just loud. Mine would hold 28 rounds good tough to get other 2 in clip as spring is tough. I did shoot and front sight got loose. Called keltec and told what allen wrench size to use to tighten and work good. .050 toy size allen wrench. Nice shooting gun love it. Gave 300.00 but have not seen another for sale since baught.

#15 ·
I'm still waiting for mine.... BUT I drew short straw with my buddies. So soon I hope. A couple have gotten there's.

The mags will "wear" in also be sure to read instructions on loading them... Seems silly as most of us have been loading mags for ever, but I could that it I just load mine I get 27-28. If I load as suggested I get 30....

Best of luck,
CW

#16 ·
I've seen several reports of them firing out of battery and blowing up.

#17 ·
Swampman said:
I've seen several reports of them firing out of battery and blowing up.
Swampy can you direct me to them?

I thought I had watched everything on there pistols. I haven't herd of that one..

Tumbling bullets, Sites flying off, Bad magazines and then SLOW production, all YES!! Exploding PMR's.. nope!

Generally speaking people i read, love them!

CW

#18 ·
Jeff Quinn had a picture of one that he blew up on Paco Kelly's site. He also posted the picture on Facebook. I've seen some others too.

#20 ·
A google search on PMR-30 blew up or blow up will show quite a few of them that have had problems.

Try PMR-30 Jeff Quinn

#21 ·
Swampman said:
A google search on PMR-30 blew up or blow up will show quite a few of them that have had problems.

Try PMR-30 Jeff Quinn
Thanks, I did so and from what I read it was do to a specific ammo. Still Kel Tec fixed the problem to where it could handle said ammo. Sorry, while saying all that, nobody bothered to say what ammo it was. Still I think I'll stick to my PF-9 rather than buy an over priced .22. ;)

#22 ·
Did a bit more looking and here's the low down. Well over 27,000 PMR-30s have been produced so far, and there have been about a dozen documented incidents of a case failure which resulted in damage to a PMR-30 and ammo was suspect as to the cause. 12 out of over 27,000 and Kel Tec promptly replaced the part with metal so it could never happen again and it hasn't, not once!

#23 ·
It's your health and safety.

#24 ·
Swampman said:
It's your health and safety.
That's right so why are you worried about it? I'm doing just fine as peach fuzz so far and so far you haven't shown me anything to be worried about....not one thing! If not simply wanting to bash and bait then why have you ignored the facts? Others read them, others have told you their feelings too but your word means more than everyone elses? Why is that Swamp? Fair question, no baiting, no bashing, I'd honestly like to know. Swamp, do you think others can't find the truth just as easy as I did the very facts on the PMR-30 which you twist to bash the whole company? Tell us is the plastic in your LC9 superior to all others. Remember, that's what failed in the PMR-30 and that was just a small part that failed the LC9's whole frame is plastic! Plastic failed, that's why Kel Tec changed it and it hasn't failed since! I say let people look at your few pics and let them then read up on the subject. I think they can make up their own mines just fine. I'm through with the subject for there's no need to say more and any more bashing by you just further proves my point as to your intentions in the first place. If you weren't so intent on bashing you could see others are now seeing so too.

#25 ·
I just hate to see folks injured shooting cheap saturday night specials. For a few dollars more you can buy something safe to shoot.

#26 ·
Swampman said:
I just hate to see folks injured shooting cheap saturday night specials. For a few dollars more you can buy something safe to shoot.
Well so far the only one you can show blew up is the PMR-30 and that has already been address yet you beat a dead horse. You claimed your LC9 is made of surperior materials and it's been proven to you and everyone else that it's not. Not only that but if anything it's made of inferier plastic. So if you hate cheap saturday night specials why do you own a semi-auto that if it had any other brand name on it you'd lable it one?
Like I said Swamp, I'm perfectly fine with resting my case so if your's is so strong then why aren't you? Etha, Etha, Ethat's all folks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.