Graybeard Outdoors banner

Saws, Axes and Knives

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  EricBTTA 
#1 ·
For compact backcountry use, what gear do you guys use for wood processing purposes? Feel free to chime in and let me know what you think.

Here’s a quick video I put together breaking down the differences between many of the different options

https://youtu.be/62wuRsOEjfo

- Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I'm not much for hatchets or tomahawks for processing wood. A Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe or a Boys Axe style are much more efficient and weigh very little more than the average hatchet. I'd gladly put up with the small amount of extra weight for the savings of time and effort to process wood. I can always choke up on the handle to do fine work, but I can't extend the hatchet handle if I need to do heavier work!

BTW - I like the way you fast forwarded the axe and saw chopping and cutting! Made for a good demonstration without wasting a lot of time watching it.

#3 ·
most of what camping i do i don't have to process wood to the
extent a lot of folks do. i'll gather up dead wood and the wood
i can't stomp and break into shorter lengths, i'll burn it shorter.
i do carry a hatchet to chop if i feel particularly energetic, or to
use the poll side as a hammer. i don't usually need to make
big wood smaller. i have several big true temper kelly perfect
real axes if i need to chop a lot, or fire up a chainsaw

#5 · (Edited)
Folding Sven saw for backpacking. Light weight, safe to carry, safer that a swinging blade, and capable of handling anything a light axe would handle. Just cannot use it to drive tent stakes. but you could cut a short length of wood with the saw to drive stakes.

For car camping, a 24 or 30 inch bow saw. If you anticipate 4 inch or larger diameter fire wood, add an axe to split a few pieces to start a fire.

#7 ·
Since one couldn't split with the Sven saw, another option might be a double bladed cruiser axe with one blade ground thin for chopping and the other ground thick wedge for splitting. Since these have a lighter head and a shorter handle than a felling axe they would be less efficient for taking larger trees down.

#8 ·
If I'm actually packing an axe while packpacking or in a canoe it's going to be one of my Hudson Bay axes, handle about 24inches head between 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 lbs. I have packed with a tomahawk and it works but really a folding saw is much more efficient. I'm only making small fires now and then huge backwoods bonfires are not my style.

#9 ·
How compact, and what kind of backcountry ?
Starting the fire is usually the problem. Once you have it going let the fire do your processing.Why waste a lot of time and energy sawing and chopping.If your close to your vehicle use a chainsaw! For survival, a good strong bladed knife will do the job.Why weight yourself down.

#10 ·
How compact, and what kind of backcountry ?

Starting the fire is usually the problem. Once you have it going let the fire do your processing.Why waste a lot of time and energy sawing and chopping.If your close to your vehicle use a chainsaw! For survival, a good strong bladed knife will do the job.Why weight yourself down.

I’m based out of the backcountry in Ontario, no vehicle close by, mostly out of my canoe, I have several options available depending on the needs of the trip, I primarily use my Silky Saw and knife but will often bring a small hatchet or tomahawk if it isn’t a portage heavy trip.

In many cases a knife alone is insufficient, often forcing you into using small stuff, a solid axe or saw allows for the harvesting of much larger pieces wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.