Magazine Capacity For Rifle Hunting In Illinois? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Default Magazine Capacity For Rifle Hunting In Illinois?

I know for shotgun hunting we're restricted to (3) rounds, (1) in the chamber and (2) in the mag tube. But, what about rifle hunting? Can you use a fully loaded (30) or (10) round mag in your AR-15 for hunting coyotes & other varmints? Same question for hunting squirrel's & rabbit's with a 22/LR?

Help support concealed carry in Illinois, show your support. http://www.cafepress.com/sicc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Magazine Capacity For Rifle Hunting In Illinois?

I have a vague memory from an uncle that Ill is a shotgun only state, no rifles (except ML) ???

if correct... bizarre rule.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 02:29 PM

Illinois is shotgun only for deer. You can still hunt coyotes, varmints, etc. with a rifle. To the best of my knowledge, there is no limit on mag capacity for hunting those species with a rifle. I still coyote hunt with a 20 round mag in my AR. my squirrel rifle is a tube fed .22, and it holds like 16 or so. If you are hunting coyotes with a shotgun, you can have as many rounds in it as you like. If you're hunting anything else with a shotgun, you gotta have it limited to 2+1. Not sure why, but that's just how it is. Illinois is a strange state with some strange hunting rules. Of course, what I just said here is subject to verification. Rules change a lot, so Make sure you read the hunting/trapping digest before you head out there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjclemens
Illinois is a strange state with some strange hunting rules.
I'll speculate that's because of the outsized influence of Chicago-area politicians... they're none too friendly to gun owners, as I understand.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 03:29 AM

If you are hunting coyotes with a shotgun, you can have as many rounds in it as you like.

Shotguns have a three shot capacity for everything including coyotes. Illinois law say's you can hunt them with a 7mm mag, 458 win mag. Check the hunting and trapping digest page 28 always . Don't take some ones word for it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfrmn
If you are hunting coyotes with a shotgun, you can have as many rounds in it as you like.

Shotguns have a three shot capacity for everything including coyotes. Illinois law say's you can hunt them with a 7mm mag, 458 win mag. Check the hunting and trapping digest page 28 always . Don't take some ones word for it.

I stand corrected. In all fairness, I did say that everyone should check the digest for themselves.

On a side note - that does highlight the stupidity of Illinois hunting rules. We can use an AR with a 30 round mag, but we cant have more than 3 shells in a shotgun. The absurdity of it is mind boggling.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjclemens
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfrmn

I stand corrected. In all fairness, I did say that everyone should check the digest for themselves.

On a side note - that does highlight the stupidity of Illinois hunting rules. We can use an AR with a 30 round mag, but we cant have more than 3 shells in a shotgun. The absurdity of it is mind boggling.

go back and reread the rules you can take the plug out to hunt snow geese

cONSERVATION ORDER LIGHT GOOSE SEASONS DON’T SHOOT A SWAN ALL WHITE PLUMAGE DATES (Inclusive) HOURS DAILy bAG LImIT POSSESSION LImIT Snow/blue & Ross’ Geese and brant North Zone Jan. 16 – Mar. 31 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset None None FIREARmS SAFETy DEPENDS ON yOU 1. Be sure of your target and what’s beyond it before you pull the trigger. 2. Do not shoot towards homes, buildings, people or animals that may be hit by your shot, especially when using large shot sizes. 3. Use caution when shooting over water or ice to avoid ricochet. 4. Set up a safe shooting corridor in front of your blind and do not shoot outside it. 5. You are responsible for what your shot strikes. Hunters who damage property or injure others can be charged with reckless conduct and face criminal and financial penalties. White plumage, but BLACK WING TIPS. cAUTION-White Pelicans have black wing tips, but their wingspan is 8-9 1/2 ft. SNOW GOOSE Legally hunted. Short neck Length: 1 1/2 ft. Wingspan: 3 1/2 ft. Weight: 3 - 6 lbs. TRUmPETER SWAN Protected Species. Long neck Length: 4 ft. Wingspan: 7 ft. Weight: 20 - 30 lbs. Central Zone Feb. 1 – Mar. 31 South Central Zone Feb. 1 – Mar. 31 South Zone Feb. 1 – Mar. 31 cONSERVATION ORDER SEASON REGULATIONS

1. Unplugged shotguns may be used.

There is no limit to the number of shells that may be placed in a shotgun. 2. Electronic calling devices may be used. 3. No federal duck stamp required. 4. State duck stamp and hunting license required

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 02:01 AM

I think these rules get changed weekly. Our DNR guys are a fickle bunch.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 05:02 PM

Gun Cabinet

You can even hunt squirrels with a 30/06 in Illinois, go figure. That question was asked of the CPO last hunters safety course.
Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson." Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA,AF&AM #294 Mohamed's Shrine, and York Rite bodies of Bloomington Il. LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years,/now retired!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 10:21 PM

Gun Cabinet

IIRC, you can completely load an AR15 magazine when varmint hunting? I always do anyhow.
Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson." Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA,AF&AM #294 Mohamed's Shrine, and York Rite bodies of Bloomington Il. LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years,/now retired!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page