lathe near Joliet IL needed for PSL barrel - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Default lathe near Joliet IL needed for PSL barrel

The makerspace I intended to use to make my barrel has gone belly up because of the stay at home crap, and the others either do not have heavy equipment, or want you to join for $400, and that is not going to happen!

If I had the $400 to join, I'd just pay to have one made!
I also have an H&R barrel in 7.62x54R I'd like to complete as well.

Is there anyone near Joliet Ill, (something like 50 mile or so) that has a lathe, and is willing to let me make my barrel on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 09:13 AM

Gun Cabinet

If you told of your qualifications or experience running a lathe or machine tools in general someone might be more willing to extend you the opportunity to use their equipment.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scar View Post
If you told of your qualifications or experience running a lathe or machine tools in general someone might be more willing to extend you the opportunity to use their equipment.
In my early years
Since High school I've completed quite a few machining and welding classes that included training on various types of machining equipment that in itself would probably equal an associates degree if it were able to be all bundled up, and that led to working a couple years as a machine technician for Diablo valley college in CA where I was once again taking classes to finish personal projects (they even had a TIG welder!)
In Southern CA I even attended a government sponsored 8 month long machining school that included CNC programing.
That class let to a job working for a small grinding company in southern Ca for a while before I moved back up to northern CA.
More recently I have completed my Associates in applied science at Joliet Junior College for CADD, that, once again also included quite a few machining classes that I took advantage of.
The plan was to get an inexpensive lathe and mill but the 2008 crash killed that idea.
Now I'm building
1: A Romanian PSL with a custom barrel.
2: Making an accessory barrel for my H&R Handi rifle in 7.62x54R.
3: I'm rebuilding an old school Black powder 12 Gauge double barreled shot gun (A counterfeit Greener made in Belgium) with modern barrels able to handle smokeless powder shells.
4: I also have a Polish DPM gas block I need to machine the cut off barrel out of because the hardened pins will not come out!
That's about all I can think of for now as far as experience and lathe projects.

Last edited by Archangel; 06-24-2020 at 01:55 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page