Gun Runner has passed. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Default Gun Runner has passed.

On May 5th Gun Runner (aka John) called to say that his doctor just told him he was free from cancer. Last year he was told by doctors that he would not make it beyond mid December.

John has kept me in cast bullets for years and, in turn, I bought lead or found it for both of us. I called his home this morning and his wife answered and gave me the news. They were headed for DMV for him to get a driverís license. He gave his up at the time the cancer doctor predicted he would not make it beyond December 2016. His wife pulled him out of the vehicle and started CPR. Two off duty police officers, an off duty ambulance person, a nurse, and a doctor stopped to assist. John was transported to a Level I care center by helicopter where he passed away.

For years John and I have normally met on Saturday for breakfast on weeks that we did not go to the range. Last week he got an old Springfield 1903 that he had restocked and scoped to shooting nice groups with a Sierra 165-grain bullet pushed by IMR4064. He mentioned afterwards his chest was sore from the recoil.

Gun Runner was a lifelong shooter and, at the range, he was always the first to help new shooters. And it seemed he always had a trade going for components. He could hear a case hit the ground from forty yards away.

John made a number of trades on Graybeardís and found sources for bullet lube, and developed friends along the way. He went into the Navy out of high school, and retired from the Navy. He served on a Mine Sweeper during the Vietnam War.

Gun Runner was prepared for the day he had a heart attack. He told he always carried nitro in a container in his pocket, and had put his childrenís phone number in my cellphone. He had a history of heart attacks.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps. Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 06:06 PM

Sorry to hear that; praying for his family, and for you in particular as you grieve the loss of a close friend.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:01 AM

So sorry
God bless him and his family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:15 AM

A good "shootin' buddy" is the best there is! R I P Gun Runner.
Walt
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Where was John from? You have lost a compatriot and friend. Prayers sent.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 02:14 PM

Gun Cabinet

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend I to have one like him who continues to live life as the best he can, his is bone cancer but he smiles and takes it one day at a time.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 09:29 PM

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 11:44 PM

Location: Smack Dab in the middle of God's Country! Saskatchewan, Of Course!

my condolences to the family and to you for your loss of your friend!

I am ONLY responsible for what I say
I am NOT responsible for what you THINK I said
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Gun Runnerís wife has read and appreciated the post regarding his passing. I should note that I have not posted the area they lived as a safety precaution. Actually this is a good area but there are those who target homes when they think there is an opportunity.

Gun Runnerís generosity was wide spread. As mention before we would go to breakfast a few times a month. At one restaurant we would see a young women being dropped off in the morning by her husband and kids. One day he spotted her two boys looking at fishing equipment in a store and asking mom if they could have a fishing pole. He overheard her tell the boys that she could not afford to buy a pole at that time.

When Gun Runner (GR) returned home he started digging into his shed fishing fishing equipment. He put fresh line on two reels and attached them to poles. He presented them along with a small tackle box.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps. Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 04:44 PM

May he Rest In Peace.

To my brothers here on this forum. We're losing more and more baby boomers now. Family members and friends too.

I'm past prostate cancer it's PSA are the lowest numbers they could check. It's going on five years now since I have it. I been having other health problems and my doctor said well you had five more years and ran off. My point is why can't doctors tell the truth point blank.? He gave me a years worth of prescriptions on one medication. It's party time I'm ready. I accept what ever happens I have lots more gunpowder to smell I'm not going anywhere yet. Anyway I could careless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page