Bad bike wreck.. - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jager View Post
I think most people ("Bikers excepted") do not actually see a bike in a competing lane of traffic. I've had what I thought was "eye contact" with a 4 wheel motorist and they still slammed on their brakes or pulled out in front of me at an inopportune time. Even on a bike lit up like a Christmas tree (Gold Wing comes to mind), I've had a car or truck pull in front of me as if I never existed. My worst accidents, or near accidents, have been on BIG bikes at slow speeds. When my reflexes start to go, so goes the bike (I do hate to give it up!).
I have had 3 near incidents, just as you described.. lights on..clear eye contact and one started to pull out of a parking lot..almost directly into me. The car was full of people, and I suspect somebody in there shouted at the driver.

The 2nd, somebody tried to pull out of a Burger King..right into me, guess he had the "munchies" and didn't look.

#3..driving by a local baseball field, and a car started to back out in front of me.... I had to stop. The car was full, but I guess all were either blind or speechless.

Frankly, I don't buy the "logic" that 2 wheelers should expect rude treatment, because some are rude or inconsiderate to car drivers. I am a naturally considerate person, whether in my car or on my bike..and I have had 4-wheelers be rude to me when driving either.

I am not going to be rude to all car drivers, simply because some are first class jerks! that would defy logical thinking.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:56 PM
Dee

Well, is it logical thinking to text and drive?

Is it logical thinking to knock the side mirrors off a car as you ride by because they accidentally pulled out in front of you.

Logic has been replaced by road rage, and gettin even.

I've been riding road bikes for almost 60 years, and have seen the highways get crazier, and crazier.

If you think everybody out there cares about being courteous safe, you ain't paying attention.
Not everyone sees it as you and I.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty

Last edited by Dee; 06-22-2019 at 08:00 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post

Is it logical thinking to knock the side mirrors off a car as you ride by because they accidentally pulled out in front of you.

I've been riding road bikes for almost 60 years, and have seen the highways get crazier, and crazier.

If you think everybody out there cares about being courteous safe, you ain't paying attention.

I guess you are correct Dee.. I just can't figure out some of those minds that are running loose out there. Too logical, I suppose..

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:57 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

Quote:

of course, there are a whole lot of car drivers in this region who
set out daily sans benefit of a valid driver's license or the legally
required liability insurance or valid registration, or the necessary
skill and sense required to safely operate a motor vehicle.
lots of 'em right here, border jumpers and valid citizens both.

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:34 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
Quote:

I guess you are correct Dee.. I just can't figure out some of those minds that are running loose out there. Too logical, I suppose..
IG, the things that folks do to themselves, and each other can be staggeringly without reason.
I have stood over it many times in wonderment of what they could have been thinking.
A clear and good conscience is getting harder to come by.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
IG, the things that folks do to themselves, and each other can be staggeringly without reason.
I have stood over it many times in wonderment of what they could have been thinking.
A clear and good conscience is getting harder to come by.
Sadly, you are likely quite correct Dee.

I may have doubted some before, but now I can see the irrational hate that is being exhibited by the left, just because they didn't get their way in the last election.

It clearly shows how some folks are running fast and loose..and doing it completely on raw emotion.

People who cast both inductive and deductive reasoning aside, in favor of frantic emotion..can be dangerous. Mad mobs are unpredictable.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:49 PM

First time I have looked at this forum. Had a bike for about 3 years.

Only drive 4 wheel cages now. Bikes can be hard to see because of their size, even with the flashing head lights. Many vehicles can be hard to see when their color blends with the background or the pavement. It is also quite easy to miss a vehicle with a quick glance. Man cyclists do not help with their riding habits. I did not start this reply until a cycle turned down my street, a short 5 blocks that T's at each end. It sounded like he was doing at least 40 as he went by and I am only 1 1/4 blocks from the main drag he came from.

When I worked in Tulsa, a coworker was out on his Harley one night. At a red light he was next to a crotch rocket. He looked over to the guy and said "Nice bike", nothing else. When the light changed the crotch rocket took off hard. About a block later he caught up to it where it was wrapped around a light pole. The rider did not survive. Coworker called 911 and waited to tell the cops what happened.

2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur /C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional , illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of cr*p by the clean end!

Now, with special thanks to the Truman Museum and Harry himself, you and I finally have a full understanding of what "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" really means.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page